The PHILCO Phorum
Quick Capacitor Question - Printable Version

+- The PHILCO Phorum (https://philcoradio.com/phorum)
+-- Forum: Various and Sundry Categories (https://philcoradio.com/phorum/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+--- Forum: Other Radios (Non-Philco) (https://philcoradio.com/phorum/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: Quick Capacitor Question (/showthread.php?tid=12687)

Quick Capacitor Question - dseverson - 07-08-2015

Hello, everyone.

I need to replace a 60uf capacitor and am wondering if it's okay to use a 100uf or would it be better to run two 33uf caps in parallel? I have both on hand and it's for a multi-section can.

Dave

RE: Quick Capacitor Question - sam - 07-08-2015

dave
two 33`s will work if they fit
100 will be ok just over kill

RE: Quick Capacitor Question - dseverson - 07-08-2015

Thanks, Sam.

I think I might go with the 100uf then. Although I could probably stick them under the chassis, it would be tight and messy and restuffing cans isn't hard.

RE: Quick Capacitor Question - morzh - 07-08-2015

Dave

It depends where the cap is used. In most cases it is OK. In some it is not.

Here's a pic. Hopefully, it's clear. This particular can is in line with the 6CA4 rectifier.

It's C1-B by the way.

RE: Quick Capacitor Question - Alan Douglas - 07-08-2015

It's 40, from what I read. But size won't matter in that location, except to improve the filtering a bit.

It's a 40uf and 60uf multi-section can. I'll replace that 60 with a 100uf to keep things looking neat.

Thanks, all, for the help.

Dave

RE: Quick Capacitor Question - KCMike - 07-08-2015

Keep in mind that the 40uf is on one side of the resistor R36 and 60uf on the other. if you use one 100uf cap I don't see how you will be able to seperate it to each side.

RE: Quick Capacitor Question - morzh - 07-08-2015

If C1B, yes you could use a larger value.
But something doesn't jibe in you expkanation about values.
Can you in simple language say: Ok, this C1A is this value, C1B is this, I am changing this cap for this value etc.
Sch does not show 60uF so you saying BTW it is a dual 40-60 cap does not really help explaining anything.

Forgive me for not simply stating it. The parts list for the C1 multi-section capacitor calls for a 40uf cap for C1A and a 60uf cap for C1B. I did not notice previously that the schematic shows C1B as 40uf. For anyone who did not understand my question, simply stated, is it possible to replace C1B 60uf with a 100uf? Before I move forward, however, I will visually check C1 multi-section capacitor to determine the correct value of C1B.

RE: Quick Capacitor Question - morzh - 07-09-2015

Yes it is possible. In this particular case (within reason) the more the better.

RE: Quick Capacitor Question - dseverson - 07-09-2015

Great. Thanks to to all of you for your help.