The PHILCO Phorum
POT clean OR repair? - Printable Version

+- The PHILCO Phorum (https://philcoradio.com/phorum)
+-- Forum: Philco Radio Discussions (https://philcoradio.com/phorum/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Philco Electronic Restoration (https://philcoradio.com/phorum/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: POT clean OR repair? (/showthread.php?tid=21501)

Pages: 1 2

POT clean OR repair? - ODPILOT - 07-23-2020

Hey Folks.  I have 53-1750 Radio/phonograph, which I restored a couple of years ago.  It has been running like new but all of a sudden it developed on a LOUD high pitch squeal when the volume is turned up.  I traced the problem to the volume/tone control POT.   I sprayed it with CRC contact cleaner and the problem is 95% better. However, if I flick it with my finger, I get a popping sound.  So my questions:
1.  Is there any advantage to taking the POT apart and cleaning it out or am I going to just F--K it up by doing that?
2.  They do make contact cleaner with lubricant - is that better than just using the contact cleaner?
3.  Have any of your ever re-built one of the volume POTS - ?

Thanks

RE: POT clean OR repair? - RodB - 07-23-2020

We always try cleaning before taking it apart. Try Deoxit D5 spray then work the control many times. Usually it is more difficult to un-solder the control than to take it apart To remove the front and shaft there are several tabs around the outside. Slowly pull the tabs straight with a long nose pliers. The shaft and front should pull off easily. Most of the time a good cleaning with alcohol and a soft brush will do the trick. Sometimes the resistive element will have a groove worn in it or a hairline break at one end, in which case find a replacement. GL

Rod

RE: POT clean OR repair? - Phlogiston - 07-23-2020

Or it has been cleaned with the wrong cleaner.

RE: POT clean OR repair? - morzh - 07-23-2020

Yes. Deoxit. F5. NOT D5!!!!!!!!!!!!, Green label, Fader Lube.
D5 is the contact cleaner, will kill some pots.

RE: POT clean OR repair? - RodB - 07-23-2020

<Deoxit. F5> Why doesn't someone tell me these things?

RE: POT clean OR repair? - rfeenstra - 07-23-2020

Yes, not D5. I've been experimenting with something else and if the results remain positive, I'll report. It does require disassembly, though.

Rod,

D5 is a contact cleaner, thereby aggressive and potentially damaging for potentiometers.
F5 is a Fader Lube, specifically formulated to lube resistive elements of potentiometers.

If you ever come across a TrolMaster (i was lucky to stumble upon one on eBay), you might not need disassembly for many pots.

RE: POT clean OR repair? - Kestas - 07-24-2020

If you have an ultrasonic cleaner, get some Miicro-90. I was able to rejuvenate an one-off switch and pot combination from dark, heavy tarnish to bright brass and copper, making the part fully functional.

Otherwise, deoxit or 5% oleic acid in solvent should restore it.

RE: POT clean OR repair? - 462ron - 07-24-2020

A few months ago I sent for what I thought was Deoxit F5. After seeing this discussion I went and looked at what I received and turns out it is Deoxit Fader F100! It says it cleans and lubricates pots but I haven’t used it yet. Just wondering is there a difference between F5 and F100?

Ron

RE: POT clean OR repair? - Eliot Ness - 07-24-2020

Ron, the buffet of products that Deoxit offers can become confusing.  F5 is Faderlube with a solvent to clean and a 5% solution of lubrication.  F100 is 100% lubrication with no cleaning properties.  So I use D5 for switch contacts, F5 for potentiometers and maybe add a drop or two of F100 (mine is in a needle dispenser) to keep them smooth.

Mike's TrolMaster might be found on eBay or a lucky garage sale find and later versions were called a goesinta,  Below is a link to all the details:

https://philcoradio.com/phorum/showthread.php?tid=19667

Mark Oppat sells a cleaner only and a cleaner with lube that I'm sure is cheaper than Deoxit. I do google searches for the best Deoxit price and usually find them at guitar/music shops online for the best price.

RE: POT clean OR repair? - morzh - 07-24-2020

If buying Deoxit by a traditional spray can, do not buy the one with the swivel, those leak alot.

RE: POT clean OR repair? - 462ron - 07-24-2020

Hi Elliot, I swore I ordered F5, never looked at it when it came a few months ago, but looked now and it’s F100 so, I’m thinking I could use a sprits of CRC followed by F100! I actually do have a ‘Trol Master’. My dad did TV/radio repair in the late 50s and I still have most of his stuff. If you look at that thread you posted above, you will see the discussion and picture of my Trolmaster. I don’t remember what I paid for the F100 from Amazon but I know it was expensive for a tiny can!

Ron

RE: POT clean OR repair? - Eliot Ness - 07-24-2020

CRC followed by your F100 sounds like a plan. That's pretty cool you have a Trolmaster, and even better that it belonged to your dad!

I think the main concern with cleaners other than Faderlube is some have reportedly dissolved the carbon tract of the pot being cleaned, but that obviously wouldn't be an issue with a wire-wound pot and a spritz of F100 after should keep it smooth.

RE: POT clean OR repair? - Paul Philco322 - 07-24-2020

I usually get to wash pots, no dishwasher............they squeak when clean!Icon_smile

Paul