The PHILCO Phorum
Line Cord Length - Printable Version

+- The PHILCO Phorum (https://philcoradio.com/phorum)
+-- Forum: Philco Radio Discussions (https://philcoradio.com/phorum/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Philco Electronic Restoration (https://philcoradio.com/phorum/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: Line Cord Length (/showthread.php?tid=23013)

Line Cord Length - wabr101 - 11-20-2021

In general, how long were the line cords on these radios.

I always thought 6 feet. But when I bought line cord, fabric or otherwise, I've measure 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, and 12.

This includes from the switch on the chassis to the plug end.

RE: Line Cord Length - radiorich - 11-20-2021

Wabr101,
Far as length goes yes myself I like making them like 8ft in total length even when working on a later set where I use replacement 18gauge Lamp cords with the molded plugs I buy them in bulk no less then 8ft long.

Sincerely Richard

RE: Line Cord Length - MrFixr55 - 11-20-2021

6ft sounds standard, and may be a NEC (National Electrical Code) specification. For a long time (at least back in 1952) the NEC had a spec where outlets had to be no more than 6 ft from any obstruction or break in a wall such as a corner, door, closet, stair, etc. and no more than 12 ft. from the nearest outlet. This is one reason that most outlets are not in a corner but in the middle of the wall.

The standard length of a lamp cord from the base of the lamp is 6 ft.

The reason why the cords that you are purchasing are 7 or 8 ft.. or longer is because there has to be consideration for the length of cable inside the chassis which can be as long as 1ft or longer in some radios. I am not sure if their is a spec as to from where to where the length is measured. For example for a console radio, the length may have to be measured from the plug to the base of the radio.

I tend to make some of my radios as having shorter cords as they sit on a shelf, connected to an outlet strip. However, for those radios that I used period correct cable (IE Cloth covered or twisted pair, I usually leave it the standard length.

Hope this helps.

RE: Line Cord Length - wabr101 - 11-20-2021

Thank you everyone. I made it 6 foot from the chassis to plug.

462ron - 462ron - 11-21-2021

I’ve never given a thought as to cord length even being a code issue. I usually try and make it longer than 6’ because I live in an older home where I think electricity was an afterthought. In my bedroom, there are only 2 receptacles, one in the middle of one wall and the other in the middle  of the opposite wall. So,one receptacle is smack in the middle behind my bed where I need to crawl and try and reach under the bed to plug anything in. The other receptacle is dead center behind a large dresser with a mirror. Neither one is anywhere near being handy to get at. Icon_crazy So I figure a little extra cord length won’t hurt and it beats using an extension cord!

Ron

RE: Line Cord Length - morzh - 11-21-2021

I use at least 8ft; 6ft is too short. 10ft is better if you have plenty of the cord wire supply.

RE: Line Cord Length - Steve Davis - 11-21-2021

I usually use 8 feet. Most early Philcos, the cord goes to the line capacitors, on some it goes to the switch. Most have a strain relief knot that takes a couple of inches so, most of a foot is lost under the chassis.

Steve