The PHILCO Phorum
Model 89 Cathedral - Printable Version

+- The PHILCO Phorum (https://philcoradio.com/phorum)
+-- Forum: Philco Radio Discussions (https://philcoradio.com/phorum/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Philco Electronic Restoration (https://philcoradio.com/phorum/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: Model 89 Cathedral (/showthread.php?tid=8400)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

RE: Model 89 Cathedral - skyscraper - 03-12-2014

Ok. All the resistors were tested. It was interesting, they were either dead on, within about 5%, or 50%+ high. Everything problematic was replaced. I'll get a new 75.

I think I can finally say I am done! Thank you so much, a million times over, to everyone for your help, there's no way I could possibly have done it without all the great wisdom. This radio will always have a prominent place in my collection. As soon as the cabinet it finished, as least Icon_biggrin

Will

RE: Model 89 Cathedral - NostalgiaRadioTime - 03-12-2014

Icon_clapIcon_clapIcon_thumbup

Thanks Greg! This must be some sort of Philco right of passage, to tame the 89 Icon_razz

This is the wire I got: http://www.ebay.com/itm/251135997907?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Oh I think so, Will. It certainly does something for your confidence level to have tamed such a wild beast as the 'infamous' 89!

Thanks for the link. I will bookmark it... but I hope, really, really hope...I never have to use that stuff again! Icon_lol

Once you have your cabinet finished and everything back together, be sure to post a pic! Which model 89 do you have, one like mine or older?

Now there's a bit of a question of what comes next: 40-190, 70, 87, 38-7 or 37-12? Icon_biggrin
Ignoring the non-Philcos now, of course.

I have the early 89 cabinet, and the earliest multiband chassis. I'll certainly post photos. I think with a solid day I can finish the veneer repairs and match the color. Sometime in the future there will be a total refinish, but it's decent now.

My next project will be another 'hippo'. A friend spotted mine and just HAS to have one. So I found another and will restore it for her. After this 89 I need something a bit easier! Icon_lol

Does your 89 have the off/on/band switch all in one?

A relieving thing about old radio restoration for me has been how much people are genuinely interested. Many people don't care, of course, but compared to old computer collecting or design, I feel much more at home and accepted. In other words, an old radio is a much better conversation piece. That makes it so much more enjoyable.

Yes, it does have the band and power together.

You're so right, Will. Everyone is united with one common goal... to bring to life these long dormant windows to our past. They're worth preserving. It's extremely rewarding to take something with decades of dust bunnies and cob webs and make it like new again. I'd be willing to bet my 89 hadn't heard any sound from its speaker in at LEAST 50 years. Probably closer to 60 years.

That band and power switch is quite a set up. Mine is a bit finicky in that it doesn't always turn off instantly. Sometimes it takes a few seconds for it to click.

RE: Model 89 Cathedral - Mondial - 03-12-2014

Will do you have a 38-12 instead of a 37-12? If so it has a 75tube you can try in the 89 and see if it cures the noise.

Same with mine, it hasn't been serviced since the 40's or 50's. but even after that long, it had surpased many times over the average electronics lifespan today. Very neat.

Mine did that at first, but doesn't do it as much after some use. It scared me the first time I was messing around with it, I had my nose in the chassis and all of the sudden there's a loud 'clunk' sound.

Mondial, I don't think it is, I believe it has a 76 or 78 tube. I'll check tomorrow

RE: Model 89 Cathedral - Ron Ramirez - 03-13-2014

Regarding the "thunder" noise produced by the 75 tube, before tossing that tube out, try this tip from Arran: Remove the old solder from the grid cap on top, make sure the little wire inside is making good connection to the cap, and resolder. This will often cure the "thunder" issue.

One other thing - There is no such monster as a 37-12.

RE: Model 89 Cathedral - skyscraper - 03-13-2014

Icon_redface Oops, can't believe I misread that.. And the tube number. Wow. Swapping it, and resoldering the grid cap of the old one fixed the noise. Thanks!

This morning it was oscillating very poorly, and died every time it was tuned through 850-900. I decided to redo the coil again. This time it came out perfect, exactly the way I wanted to do it in the first place. Put it back in, and I'm back to square one... Icon_mad Nothing below 1200 this time. The last possibility in my mind is that Radio Daze used bags with some sort of ESD protective material that is messing with the feedback.

From other people who have had success, what is the best substrate to use between the windings? I've also tried teflon tape, which sort of worked, but made a good winding nearly impossible.

RE: Model 89 Cathedral - NostalgiaRadioTime - 03-13-2014

Sorry to hear about your troubles tuning in stations below 1200 on the dial, Will. I'm not sure if it makes a difference or not, but I cut a 1/2 wide strip from one of those Avery Top Loading Non-Glare Poly Sheet Protectors... the sheet protectors you can put a standard 8.5-x-11-inch sheet of paper inside and put it in a 3 ring binder... and wrapped it around the coil about two times, securing it with a piece of scotch tape. I don't know if it makes a difference or not, but since I am receiving across the dial, I guess it must be OK.

RE: Model 89 Cathedral - Mondial - 03-13-2014

Will, I have a feeling that your replacement winding is not the problem, but there is an issue with the other windings, or other parts of the osc tuned circuit. Anything associated with the coil or tuning cap which causes a lack of feedback or additional loss will make the osc marginal.

Keep in mind that even with Greg's winding reversed, he still got oscillation, albeit at SW freqs.

Maybe you need to find another osc coil to try, and if necessary rewind to see if the coil is actually the problem or it is something else.