The PHILCO Phorum
What have I taken on! Silvertone 45 Restoration FINISHED - Printable Version

+- The PHILCO Phorum (https://philcoradio.com/phorum)
+-- Forum: Various and Sundry Categories (https://philcoradio.com/phorum/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+--- Forum: Other Radios (Non-Philco) (https://philcoradio.com/phorum/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: What have I taken on! Silvertone 45 Restoration FINISHED (/showthread.php?tid=9337)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

What have I taken on! Silvertone 45 Restoration FINISHED - OldRestorer - 04-18-2014

I got this today...

Not only was there a mouse nest but clay hives all over it. The mice even ate the cardboard for the coil windings.
I havent touched it to see what is underneath but Ewwwwwwwww.

Should be a fun project Icon_lol

RE: What have I taken on! - morzh - 04-18-2014

Ahem....I hope whoever gave it to you alo paid you to get it.
For free I would not even look at it.

You are a bave man.

RE: What have I taken on! - PAradiogeek - 04-18-2014

Kirk,

All I can say is...what a mess! Please show us pictures after you complete it..

Good luck,
Jon

RE: What have I taken on! - morzh - 04-18-2014

Also do not forget including picture of yourself when you compete it. (I think my kid is gonna be outta colege by then) Icon_lol

RE: What have I taken on! - 37silverstreak - 04-18-2014

the only question I have is- WHY?Icon_lol If you can do anything with this UM- radio, you are a better man than I Gunga Din!!!!!!!
Lotsa luck!
Kevin

RE: What have I taken on! - radiohenry - 04-19-2014

Kirk,
Why ? There are plenty of less abused radios out there. If I were nearer I would bring some by.
Good Luck
Henry

RE: What have I taken on! - BrendaAnnD - 04-19-2014

Maybe he, like me, enjoys a good challenge. Helps keep your brain from getting old and helps hone your skills.

RE: What have I taken on! - morzh - 04-19-2014

Brenda,

When you took on that piece of scrap metal a couple of months ago I thought highly of you but I also thought this is as close to the limit of the reasonable as it gets without getting masochistic.
Well, this one is really...that. While I will be a great admirer of Kirk once he finishes it (I have no doubts he will) I still think it is a bit overboard. This is no longer a restoration, it is partly repro project as part of cabinet is missing.

And the chassis is order of mag rustier than yours was.

I still wonder what Kirk coughed up for it Icon_smile

Kirk, c'mon, spill the beans. How much?!!!

RE: What have I taken on! - codefox1 - 04-19-2014

Another cabinet would be nice, never know. Chassis doesn't look that awful, might need a donor for the coils. Best!

RE: What have I taken on! - OldRestorer - 04-19-2014

$40 mike.
I know it was a total waste but like Brenda said, Its a challenge and is really fun too. Well, usually fun Icon_lol
If not I will sell it to you for $39.99

The 45 was a repro but it doesn't matter to me. its the only non working radio I have in my collection. This will be the second Icon_lolno

RE: What have I taken on! - bobk9eui - 04-20-2014

My advice is to NOT plug it in to see if it works :-)

RE: What have I taken on! - BrendaAnnD - 04-20-2014

Awww... why not? I bet that rectifier runs very cool without that glass to hold in all the heat. Icon_smile

RE: What have I taken on! - Jamie - 04-20-2014

It looks like the Wily Coyote used it to try and take out the Road Runner. Are you sure that radio isn't made by Acme?

RE: What have I taken on! - morzh - 04-20-2014

Kirk,

If I take it from you for 39.99 then only to put it on the museum shelf to show what the unrestored radios look like sometimes.
I would call it "Extreme Restoration Museum".
Or maybe "radios fom the crypt".
Or "the communications of the Pharao's era".

RE: What have I taken on! - OldRestorer - 04-20-2014

It would be nice to be able to see a picture of this radio with a top, lol
Then I would at least know what I am aiming for. I have found one picture and it stinks, is painted red, and only of the front. it is a Silvertone model 45 if anyone has a photo.

I do have another 80 tube so it should go on if I replace it?

I will go try it now!