The PHILCO Phorum
Latest Treasure! - Printable Version

+- The PHILCO Phorum (https://philcoradio.com/phorum)
+-- Forum: Philco Radio Discussions (https://philcoradio.com/phorum/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Philco Home Radios (https://philcoradio.com/phorum/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Thread: Latest Treasure! (/showthread.php?tid=9630)

Pages: 1 2

Latest Treasure! - gregb - 05-24-2014

I cant believe my luck lately but here is the latest find. This one is a local set as it has all of the local old radio station tags in the dial and it is a Canadian made set as well, model 38-C116. Has an excellent condition back with it as well. This one was in my neighborhood!
As usual for this area absolutely no rust and just a gentle coat of dust.

Gregb

RE: Latest Treasure! - Eliot Ness - 05-24-2014

Excellent find, congratulations!

RE: Latest Treasure! - BrendaAnnD - 05-25-2014

That beast looks like it just came out of the crate!

RE: Latest Treasure! - PhilcoJohn - 05-25-2014

Great catch and it came with the radio back. They are hard to find. Nice!

RE: Latest Treasure! - OldRestorer - 05-25-2014

Nice Greg,
That chassis is CLEAN!

Kirk

RE: Latest Treasure! - Eric Adams - 05-25-2014

Wow!Icon_thumbupIcon_thumbup I need to move near you. There's nothing like that in my neighborhood.

RE: Latest Treasure! - PAradiogeek - 05-25-2014

I can't believe how nice that chassis looks. Great find!

RE: Latest Treasure! - Art Hoch - 05-25-2014

Are you serious???

RE: Latest Treasure! - gregb - 05-25-2014

Yes I am Art!! One of the nicest sets I have ever come across. Still has the original sellers tag on the inside with a four digit phone number.
The story the lady gave me when I picked it up was it was bought new by a bush pilot and he used it up till the early 70's and then gave it to the lady I got it from as he was moving into a seniors home and didn't have the room for it anymore. She has had it in her living room and using it until I bought it from her yesterday. She had it playing when I got there and it sounds really good but needs to be worked on for sure.
I had a quick look at it and it has all Canadian Marconi tubes in it except the rectifier, it is a 5Y4G Philco and it should be the 5V4G. I am not sure if it would have come with Philco tubes or not as a lot of the Canadian radios I have come across have Marconi tubes in them. Ron do you know if a Canadian Philco would have had Philco branded tubes or not? There are no service tags but until I have a look at the chassis its hard to say what work has been done to it.

Gregb

RE: Latest Treasure! - VntgRads - 05-25-2014

That is one heck of a find! Beautiful radio! Congrats!

Craig R.

RE: Latest Treasure! - Jayce - 05-25-2014

Man, that makes my poor 38-116X look like a parts radio! Icon_eek Icon_thumbup

RE: Latest Treasure! - TA Forbes - 05-25-2014

Absolutely beautiful condition!!!Icon_thumbupIcon_thumbupIcon_thumbup

RE: Latest Treasure! - gregb - 05-25-2014

I cant believe it but I have started cleaning the years of nicotine off the cabinet and it looks even better. It still has a really nice gloss to it and I do think this will be one of the finest radios in my collection. Cant wait to get started on the chassis.

Gregb

RE: Latest Treasure! - 462ron - 05-25-2014

Greg the radio gods have surely smiled on you! That is one unbelievable find and near you yet to boot. Have fun and enjoy that one.

Ron

RE: Latest Treasure! - morzh - 05-25-2014

Now that I think about the opportunity I had 14 years go to move to Canada (my then girlfriend was from Toronto and it was a serious relationship)....if I had that hobby back then my whole life could've turned out different Icon_lol