Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Brunswick Panatrope with Radio S31

Hopefully you wont need it , but if the turntable flocking gets messed up when cleaning Micheals Crafts has reflocking supplies to reflock it as new.

I went to Micheals looking for flocking but they didn't have anything but weird colours, in small amounts, with some kit. In any even the platter looks like it's covered with a velvet of some sort, not flocking, I don't think that they used flocking that much in the late 1920s. I suppose one could try vacuuming it off, or use an air nozzle, and maybe some brake cleaner to dry clean it with.
Regards
Arran

arran
brake clean ??
would that eat right through it or make it gooie
not good for plastic or glue

Just try some dish soap and water.

Use a smaller hammer first.

"I just might turn into smoke, but I feel fine"
http://www.russoldradios.com/

Not it will not, brake cleaner is perchloroethylene, which is what the dry cleaners use to clean mens suits. I think you are getting it confused with carbon tetrachloride which will each some plastics, and rubber, if pechcloroethylene ate rubber it would be a no-no around brake hoses.
I hope someone was joking about the dish soap and water, if you want to disolve old fashioned animal glue, or shrink a grille cloth, water will work perfectly for that. Remember what water does to some Philco dials?
Regards
Arran

Update on the Brunswick. Got all the tubes together finally. I subbed an 11-20 ballast for the non-existant D-110 (got it from playthings of the past). It has a few issues but is working. The turntable works, the pick-up is working but weak. I get a loud hum when I switch to "record" from "radio". It took me a while to get the radio working. The first 24 tube (right side looking in) would not light up at first, then finally did after some cleaning of the pins. I also discovered that while the tuning dial moves when the knob is turned, the tuning capacitor plates do not, so I had to tune it by hand. Volume control for the radio has one setting...loud. Hey, at least it works!

If you posted the link it'd be easier.

The buzz could come due to bad shielding or bad grounding, epecially if it is around the pickup.

morzh Wrote:If you posted the link it'd be easier.

Now, Mike (Morzh), what was that you were saying in another thread about looking up the links yourself, helping to fight Alzheimer's? Icon_wink

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

This time it is too challenging and I become increasingly aware of my feeblemindedness, which makes me sad. Icon_lol And the exact model is not there in Brunswick radio in Riders on NA.

My Panatrope has some hum in the phono position. As I recall the signal lead has no shielding. I got rid of most of it by repositioning the bundle going to the radio/phono switch AND replacing the 227 audio driver tube from one that was very high testing to a somewhat lesser one. You are going to get more hum if you touch that switch. If you really wanted to get rid if it, a redesign of the cabling with shielded wire would probably help, but I would not do that.

Another thing, the pick-up (magnetic) has become much less sensitive. This requires the volume to be set higher. I rebuilt mine, and many others by replacing the rubber mounts (inside the magnet structure) and repolarizing the magnet its self. This probably tripled the level allowing the volume control to be set lower resulting in less hum.

"I just might turn into smoke, but I feel fine"
http://www.russoldradios.com/