Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Grundig 5008

AM/SW dial stringing now complete...thanks to my wife's hands in addition to mine.

NEVER AGAIN!Icon_eek

Steel string and cloth string don't seem to get along well. Wheel seems to be binding them...or they're binding each other. Have to figure this out. Clutch immobilizing the other band seems to be working.

It's time to concede defeat on this radio. After restringing a combination steel/cloth dial string for the BC/SW portion of the dial, I cannot keep it from binding up while attempting to turn the tuner. It didn't matter a whole lot because after playing once or twice on the BC band and the same for the SW band, it now refuses, even after recapping and changing out some resistors.

I suspect the band switches are bad. They lie horizontal within the chassis are are VERY difficult to reach. The neglect of this radio affected them as well as the rest of the chassis and cabinet. The FM portion plays fairly well. This radio's sound (from 4 speakers) rivals several of my consoles and the engineering is present for this to be a great sounding machine.

However, it's not worth it to me to tear into it any more. I have probably put more hours into this radio than any other I worked on and to have it at this stage is pretty frustrating. However, it does look fairly nice now cosmetically. (Don't look too closely.) Icon_confused At least the 3 grille cloths (front and both ends) are decent.

(I see that murf has given up on his Grundig also.)

Attached Files Image(s)