Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Crosley 124 amperage draw

I just recapped and changed some out of tolerance resistors on this 124 Crosley. I always bring up on variac with amp scale in line.
Most of the radios I have done read about .5mA on 3amp scale.
This one is reading .85mA seems high to me.
Does anyone know if this would be a normal range for this radio?
I was at 120v on variac setting. It does play pretty well but I turned it off because of high amp reading. Thanks

Does not make sense, normal draw will be in over a hundred mA.

Are you measuring DC or AC amps? And is your ammeter Ok and the fuse inside it good?

Mike probably means .5A and .85A which would make more sense on the 3A scale.

These readings would seem reasonable, depending on the tube count of the radios involved.

I have a 3amp and 7 amp ac ampere meter guage that is in series with the variac outlet that I plug the radios into. It is wired to the 3amp scale. I might be stating the reading wrong.
When I said .85mA I mean that it is almost at the 1amp on the scale. Most of my other radios read right at .5 half way btwn. 0 and 1 amp.

Mondial you are correct. I was going to take some tube voltage readings but did not want to do this if the current was too high. Back to the books on amperes and how to properly determine. Thanks

I just looked at the schematic and the Crosley 124 uses a pair of 47's in push pull for the output. This radio will draw more AC current than a radio with a single output tube which you may be comparing it with.

Does the back of the set have a nameplate with the AC power consumption ( Watts rating) ?

There is a plate that has the model number and next to it says 125 watts.

If the radio is rated at 125 Watts, then the .85A current draw is not a problem. The amp current draw will be proportional to the Watts rating.

A radio rated at 60 Watts might show a .5A reading, but a 125 Watt radio will draw significantly more, close to 1 amp or more.

Thanks Mondial. Going to check tube volts, do an alignment, and let it play awhile.

Let's try to call Amps Amps, Ohms Oms etc.
We are, after all, dealing with electricity and if someone wants to explain something and get help, it pays to be accurate in what one is saying about units.

Watts dat? Other than fusisters, little radios are ok with .5 or .75 amp, mediums 2 amp, and large 3 amps. If you know everything else is OK, you can move up a value if needed.

I've seen modern guitar amps with a 3 amp fuse in the holder on the back of the cabinet, and a 5 amp secondary inside. Sure enough user did the deed and kept upping the back one to keep playing. Fixed it did with a recap job etcetera, for about the same cost as a replacement amp. Wanted it back, he did, so I did as he asked. Mind you I only do favors and never made a nickel on repairs since I was a kid.

3 Amps...yikes. Nice space heater that radio would be....

Yup, humongous ones can do 3 big ones on turn on. Nice in a cold climate where you don't pay seperately for electric.

Turn-on current is the inrush, inductive type at that, won't do anything bad except blowing an improperly sized fast-blow fuse.
It's the steady one that will help you in North Dacota. Icon_lol