Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average

Philco 70 Reproduction Cabinet

Here's the results of my research some time back (post #3 in the thread at this link):
http://www.philcoradio.com/phorum/showth...p?tid=5608

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

It is fun to watch the knob concern but the thread was about the cabinet. Let's face it, Steve did a great job on it. A shame he put the chassis in and put on some knobs so everyone could comment. Steve, just leave the knobs off and everyone will love it! I do. Ron, thanks for the detailing. It works well for me with the knobs on it. Then again, they are probably not the right ones. The knobs on my Fada 46 are probably not right either but does anyone out there have one to show me pictures?
I think your work is outstanding Steve, knobs withstanding but then again you didn't make them. I'm certain with guidance you can select the proper ones. You no doubt know anyway. Really a great job on the cabinet.
Best, Jerry

A friend in need is a pest!  Bill Slee ca 1970.

Any knob is better than a pair of pliers, but the little vise-grips work pretty well.

Yeah I like the cabinets too but I still think you should put your name on the units that are sold complete, but not the parts. I think that this was done on the previous production(s). Not a brass plaque on the front but a mark on the bottom of the base. If it doesn't make any difference, like people have said, then it should be no problem taking credit for them.

"I just might turn into smoke, but I feel fine"
http://www.russoldradios.com/

Well, by Ron's own words:

"Philco, most likely, switched to the large/medium/small rosette configuration in later production of 70 cathedrals, Bulletins 57-A and 57-B to the contrary."

So, even though contrary to its own documents, Philco might have been using 90- like knobs configuration at some point, which justifies Steve's coniguration as "one of the valid ones".

Using pure statistcs and probabilities, the fact that there are very few, if any (I have not seen any) 90s cathedrals with other than large+medium+small rosettes configuration, and there are quite a few of 70s cathedrals with both "70" and "90" configurations, tells me it is more likely than not that some of those 70s came out of the factory this way.

My layman's two cents.

jerryhawthorne Wrote:It is fun to watch the knob concern but the thread was about the cabinet. Let's face it, Steve did a great job on it.

I could not agree more. The cabinet is beautiful. I think Steve outdid himself on this one, really. Fantastic job. And again, two thumbs up Icon_thumbup Icon_thumbup

There is a bit more interesting info on those knobs. Unfortunately, I do not have time at present to go into details. Perhaps next week...and then, it will be brought up in a separate thread so as not to take away anything from Steve's excellent work (and that was never my intention to begin with - heck, I'm a member of the Steve Davis fan club!). Icon_biggrin Icon_wave

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

I'm going to have to start watching Ebay for small rosette knobs. I thought I had several, maybe they were lost in the move. I did find a couple of rough ones and put them on. I will have to find some more because I am going to do one of these radio for each of our children, that's two to go.  
[Image: https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4339/3725...67eb_z.jpg]105_0812-1 by Steve Davis, on Flickr
Here is a picture of the radio with the correct knobs.

Steve

M R Radios   C M Tubes

Since the wood is repro, you could make your own knobs too. You can make about 300 for $30

I have a set of reproduction rosette knobs that I bought for a Philco 60L, from Larry Bordanaro. Unfortunately they are all dark brown, no grain pattern, and have a set screw, even though the slot for the spring was cast into the backs of the knobs. That sort of pissed me off because it seemed unnecessary, why add a set screw where none was needed? The man makes excellent pushbuttons, and escutcheons for early 40's Philcos but he fumbled the rosette and hex knobs. Was he trying to make sure that they would not be confused with the originals? Renovated Radios also sells repro knobs, but I've never ordered anything from them to see if they are better or not.
Regards
Arran

Renovated Radios' stuff is of excellent quality. Icon_thumbup

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN