Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

My new/old Zenith 7S240 chairside!

I had a good day so far. I got to the radio meet first, second car pulled in and he had a chairside in the back. It is in need of total restoration but I snagged it for more than I wanted to pay and traded some tubes. He loaded it and then it began to rain so not much else happened and I left. It is missing the back piece and 3 knobs. the 1 knob that is there is wrong I think. I believe I have the right knobs though. A few minor veneer repairs too. The face and the dials are perfect as far as I can see.

Finally got it home and even had it unloaded for me, Icon_lol

Here are some pics:

Attached Files Image(s)

Times I have been electrocuted in 2021
As of 1/01/2021
AC: 4 DC: 1
Last year: 6

very nice kirk
do a youtube vid Icon_thumbup
your not letting up on mike are you Icon_e_wink
road trip mike

Z....dial looks good, though due to the angle and reflections cannot see 100%, same is the gass.

Kirk, did you getvoriginal 6T5 tube or 6U5?

Those are simple radios, nothing too intimidating.

I have the original and a few extras from the tube lot I bought

Kirk

As of 1/01/2021

Kirk, with your talent that is going to come out looking great. I hope you post pictures on your restoration as it goes forward. For now, take it easy and heal up a bit.
Jerry

A friend in need is a pest!  Bill Slee ca 1970.

If it has a good 6T5 and you have a few more, they are worth more than the radio. The "star" eye tubes are very expensive.

You mean you have 6T5? If yes, and especially if it still works even a little, this tube in non-working condition is worth what you paid for that radio. And if it does work....

When I saw you bought one of course I had to look at some examples. Really beautiful cabinets all redone and finished. Im not seeing anything on the cabinet that strikes me as a royal pia. Gonna be really nice when done Ill bet...heck just stripping it will be 100% improvement. I know that's often the point where I can chill with a cabinet...when all the crud is gone and I can see everything.

Be careful taking the chassis out of the cabinet. Sometimes the speaker is in the way.

"I just might turn into smoke, but I feel fine"
http://www.russoldradios.com/

Another thing with those in console cabinets, when pulling chassis out the tone contol switch hits the ledge at the top and breaks.

In short, pull the chassis out slow, watch what's in the way.

I'm not 100% certain of this but I believe that the chassis comes out of the side mounted to that sheet of plywood. It does not look like it could come out through the bottom like it would in most chairsides. The expensive part is going to be replacing those brand Z knobs with the "Z" carved into the center, most of the repro ones are made out of plastic so I'm sure you could come up with something better.
Regards
Arran

Exactly Mike!
I was pulling the chassis and it was very hard to get that one switch out. it actually scratched the inside of the cabinet while I slowly removed it.

It is a side mount and comes out sideways too.

As for the knobs, I got really lucky a while ago and got about 8 in a big lot of knobs. Hopefully the right ones. See pics, are one of these the correct ones? Is the one on the set original? I have seen it with the large flat one.

Oh and as for the eye tubes, not 6T5's Icon_redface

5 6U5's 2 6E5's and a 2E5. Not sure if the one in it is a 6T5 and I aint taking the chassis out again.

Attached Files Image(s)

As of 1/01/2021

Kirk

It is easy to discern 6T5, it dies not have that round tablet piece in the middle lime all ther tubes do, it is just a thin metal pole. So it has a very distinct look about it.

The difference in operation, it does not form a sector shade, the shade is concentric moving from inside out. The Robot dial Zs were all equiped with it, and as those got dark folks replaced them with 6U5 which electrically and pin-wise is equivalent with sector shade.

The reason why 6T5 tubes are rare is because brand Z only used them for a year or so, I'm guessing that they were made for them by Sylvania. I'm not sure how long they were available as replacements but they were basically an obsolete tube the year after they came out with them, probably a question of economy of scale. The difference between a 6T5 and a 6U5, 6G5, or 6E5 is that not only is that center cap missing but it has no deflection vanes for a shadow like a normal eye tube would.
Regards
Arran

I have two of those 7S240s.

Mike