Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

A pair of Radiola 33's

Hi folks! I haven't been totally out of things with radios lately and just picked up a pair of Radiola 33's this past week. The first one I found at a resale shop with an earlier Radiola horn. It was working as they claimed, but several of the tubes were weak (the 27 was shorted!) and it was missing the lid and the trim. Also, the power cord was a nightmare! So, I ended up buying one off my friend which had a cabinet trashed by graffitti scratched into it. Swapped him the weak globe tubes for part of the deal as his set had far stronger tubes and came home with that and the trim for $30. After a cord repair and getting a clean bill of health, my Radiola 33 works pretty well! The other unit works as well and I am pondering maybe finding a better case for it later on. Right now I need to attach the trim back on and maybe find a more correct speaker. The horn is neat, but has its limitations.

No matter where you go, there you are.

Pretty cool but needs some TLC

Kirk

Times I have been electrocuted in 2021
As of 1/01/2021
AC: 4 DC: 1
Last year: 6

It seems the Radiola 33 can be a common set around here, but most are also trashed when you find them. Metal radios didn't see a lot of love around my area as the woman of the house usually did not like them at all!

No matter where you go, there you are.

I saw a 33 in a local antique shop, while the faux finish was not bad, and the speaker was still with it, along with the tubes/ However three of the four pieces of pot metal trim were missing from the corners as was the original power switch and bat shaped knob that went with it. The Radiola 33 was a budget set from the get go, it uses the same guts as a Radiola 17 but in a steel and pot metal cabinet rather then a wood one. From what I could find they built and sold a lot of them, something like 150,000, there was also an option to buy one with a set of spindly pot metal legs to make one into a pseudo floor model.
Regards
Arran