Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Please suggest a radio for this cabinet

No, not spooky. If it were mine, I would like to add an early superhet chassis and build a shelf for it and then add a front piece cut out properly with a grill for the speaker. A lot of work but what a nice cabinet. Probably not was in it originally but who knows what was in it?
Jerry

A friend in need is a pest!  Bill Slee ca 1970.

(09-25-2014, 08:55 PM)jerryhawthorne Wrote:  No, not spooky.  If it were mine, I would like to add an early superhet chassis and build a shelf for it and then add a front piece cut out properly with a grill for the speaker.  A lot of work but what a nice cabinet.  Probably not was in it originally but who knows what was in it?
Jerry

Jerry it was originally a radio cabinet.  I remember it as a youngster.  Actually it was a wedding gift for my grandparents.  Then inherited by my dad and now to me.  If I can find the proper radio, I would love to put it back to the purpose it was built for.  Any ideas on where to find the proper radio for this cabinet would be very much appreciated.  I have one Philco radio to complete and a 1949 Philco to restore and then I am ready to begin this project.  I can't wait to get started.
Stu

That cabinet reminds me of an earlier thread on the Phorum although the radio was a late thirties radio.  

Looks very Sparton. An Equasonne would look good in there.

"I just might turn into smoke, but I feel fine"
http://www.russoldradios.com/

I'm a little late in doing this, but I've moved this thread to Other Radios (Non-Philco) since this is not a Philco cabinet...

However, I will say +1 to Bob's (klondike98 ) comment two posts above this one. Russ (Phlogiston) makes a good point as well.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Had not heard of an Equasonne that Russ mentioned, so I did some searching and found a 1929 model 301 in an ornate cabinet on the Radiola Guy's site.  The pictures give you an idea of how a radio would fit into the cabinet space, what the shelving might look like and how the front panel would have to be fabricated.  

Very Very nice and truly skilled workmanship.
A lovely heirloom. Wonder what grandpaw kept in that drawer?. Prohibition comes to mind. No offense if grandpaw was averse to a drop. Maybe the service sheets eh.

Pleassse put a very suitable Radio in there and let it sing again.

Love to see a pic of the inside;

Well done mornflt.

Regards.
Will.

This would be a good radio for it and only $20, but you would have to find the tubes and an probably make a front panel:

http://www.antiqueradios.com/forums/view...it=Sparton

not mine

"I just might turn into smoke, but I feel fine"
http://www.russoldradios.com/

(10-04-2014, 07:46 AM)HOTWIRE Wrote:  Very Very nice and truly skilled workmanship.
A lovely heirloom.   Wonder what grandpaw kept in that drawer?. Prohibition comes to mind. No offense if grandpaw was averse to a drop. Maybe the service sheets eh.

Pleassse put a very suitable Radio in there and let it sing again.

Love to see a pic of the inside;

Well done mornflt.

Regards.
Will.
That's exactly what I intend to do.  Looking for an atwater.

The drawer may have been intended for battery storage, if your ancestor lived in an area that did not have AC mains or if the radio housed inside was a 1920s battery radio.
Regards
Arran

I am not sure what to think, very unique, and whether it pleases the eye or not it represents a degree of woodwork one does not see......often.

Paul

Tubetalk1

They are very hard to find, but if you could locate a set of old E. H. Scott guts to put inside that cabinet, it might be another brand to consider. E. H. Scott were the very top of the line in serious radio receivers in the 20s and 30s. A cabinet as fine as yours would be perfect, since Scott receivers were sometimes built in custom cabinets.