Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Did Philco Make Stand Alone Single End Hi Fi Amps?

I saw a picture- illustration~ ad. of a Philco Amp (receiver?), must have been integrated, sitting on a cart. No console.
It had a cool closed box speaker on the lower shelf with what I'd guess was a 10" driver and a flat horn.
Did Philco make Hi Fi Amps under their name? Or stand alone receivers without a console?
It was an illustration so maybe it was a product that did not exist.
Is Fisher part of Philco? I could google it I guess.
Thanks!

Attached Files Image(s)

That's just something that someone dreamed up, as far as I know. Those do not look like Philco products. And Avery Fisher would not have designed something to roll around on a cart like that.

I've seen the illustration before (without the text box and Philco logo), on one of the Mid Century Facebook groups.

Oh, and there was no connection between Philco and Fisher. They were two separate companies. I happen to be interested in both. Icon_smile

Philco did make a few stereo receivers after the Ford buyout, but they are junk compared to real receivers such as The Fisher, Harman Kardon, H.H. Scott, Pioneer, Sansui, etc.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Well, you could have put an Amp, turntable and speaker on a cart like that and that's what it is not a "Philco Port-O- Sound Cart." I was wondering if they had a stand alone receiver (or Amp) back then, pre stereo.
My Dad had a Fisher Amp (as I remember) pre stereo. In fact my Father thought stereo was a fad at first.

Quadro was a fad, stereo wasn't.

I gather that. That's something he said in the early 60s(?). He had stereos afterword's of course. He was more of an audiophile than I am. He thought color TV was a fad.

What did he think of the horseless carriage?Icon_wink

Eric
Lake in the Hills, IL
Member: Philco Phorum, ARF, ARCI & Radiomuseum.org

I say color TV is still a fad. Just a lingering one.
Colour distracts one from the true meaning of a picture. Icon_smile

I found a 1959 Philco SA-2001 HIFI Amplifier Speaker, 3 inputs, base/treble/ and volume......Very Cool. Not sure if this is what your are asking about. I could not find anything online except one site, but little info. http://www.philcoradio.com/gallery/1960.htm#x I have the Model H1619, and there is no radio, or record player.

Todd

Hi I currently have a SA-2001 that your describing you said you found one?  Just very curious as to your knowledge of I'm finding  zero inform pertaining to this model

Rlynn

Considering this thread is 6 years old, you'd be better off writing a personal message to whoever you are asking.
Or even email if the account lets you.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

Hi and welcome to the Phorum,

Didn't find any free info for the sa-2001 but found a sa-2000.
Click here: https://www.rsp-italy.it/Electronics/Rad...n/1959.pdf and scroll to pg 121.
Looks like it's designed to power eletrostatic speakers which maybe difficult to find these days. Could be converted to
use pm speakers by changing the output transformer.

GL

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry