Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Freed Eismann NR-6 cardboard stock preservation

My wife (bless her) has surprised me with a Freed Eismann NR-6 even though she hates the looks of 20s radios. It is in decent cosmetic condition and supposedly works. I want to give it a good going over as far as tubes, transformers, grounded points, switches, and coils before I try to power it up. One of the transformers has a R/C by-pass on it, so I know I'll be replacing that soon.
It has the instructions/tuning log in perfect shape, but the battery hook-up card is a bit warped, missing a piece, and has a piece along the bottom cracking off.
Those with some experience in old paper repairs, what is a fix for the warping and for gluing the cracked piece back together that will do the LEAST amount of damage to the old card stock?
Also, if anyone has some caveats for me regarding Freed Eismann sets, I'm open to suggestions.

Charlie in San Antonio

You can glue pieces together with Elmer's, and reinforce the back side at the joint. Ideally the reinforcement would be a heavy paper as used for book repair (acid-free, some fiber other than wood pulp).

Warps can be pressed flat with a steam iron.

Thanks, Alan. The acid content of the glue and reinforcing paper was the main issue I was concerned with. So Elmer's is OK to use, then, and I'm assuming I need to press the card between two towels or other cloth to prevent scorching.

Charlie in San Antonio

Elmer's is fine as far as acidity and long-term performance are concerned. It wouldn't be used where it might have to be removed in the future (although it can be removed easily).

A steam iron won't scorch or harm paper, as long as it's steaming. It might polish the surface, so it would be better to work from the back side, with the cardboard face down on several thicknesses of clean paper.

If you don't have any acid-free paper I could mail you a piece. But since it's on the back and never seen, almost anything will do.

Great. I think I have some old stationary around here somewhere that will work. Not quite as thick as card stock, but thicker than regular paper and it has some rag content, I believe.

Charlie in San Antonio