Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Freed Eismann NR-6 C- duplication?

I still haven't had time to put batteries on my NR-6, but I was puzzling momentarily about an addition the previous owner had done (in addition to the resistor/capacitor work around for the first transformer). This person has spliced in a wire along the lead going from both transformers to the C- post, and he has mounted a new terminal on the bracket that holds the binding posts for C-, the short antenna, and the long antenna.
He has also attached a wire to the new terminal (he placed it just above the C- post). I'm guessing he didn't have proper C- at the transformers and decided to go the direct route rather than track down a weak solder somewhere else? But why would he not simply tie into the C- binding post?
Any ideas on what he was thinking before I build some batteries and try to power up?

Also, when I do power up, am I correct in thinking that I should have the set grounded and a speaker plugged in before I apply power?

http://www.nostalgiaair.org/PagesByModel...039892.pdf

Charlie in San Antonio

Hard to say what someone was thinking perhaps he was just trying to use just one C battery rather than two??. Sometime you'll find a jumper across the C battery connections this will eliminate a bid of hum you may receive from not using a C battery. Set will play much better with a C battery. Having a speaker and ground connections will make it MUCH easier the hear the set play!!!
Terry