Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Any talented graphics artists on the Phorum?

I'm working on a 1946 Crosley 56TU, and, as you can see, the glass dial scale is a mess. Someone put scotch tape over the painted side of the scale to hold it into the cabinet. Well, naturally as the tape got old, turned yellow, and became brittle, it lifted off of the scale, taking the paint with it Icon_mad

So I trimmed the original tape a bit, and got it back into position, and put one big solid piece of tape over the back side to hold the missing sections in place. It still looks like h*ll, but at least all of the numbers are there again.

I thought there may be a talented member of the Phorum, with the skills and printer necessary who could restore the graphics and print it on to clear transparency paper I could affix to a new piece of lexan. It's at reduced size here for illustration. I can e-mail a full size version of the file to anyone who might be able to help. Of course I'll gladly pay you for your time and supplies.

Thanks!

Greg V.
West Bend, WI
Member WARCI.org

If you email me a high resolution scan with a piece of white printer paper tight against the back as a background so it won't show shadow and I would email it back to you after it was repaired and you could print it.

Pm me if you want to do that. It looks fairly easy to photoshop.

Todd

See if Radiodaze has one in their roster, if not then it would probably be best to find a salvaged dial someplace, they do turn up on fleabay sometimes, or you may find a parts set with a broken cabinet where the dial is still good.
Regards
Arran

Thanks so much, Todd. I appreciate your kind offer. My problem is I only have a cheap ink jet printer here, and have no way of printing on a transparency. If I send you a (hopefully) better scan, would you be able to print it out and pop it in the mail? I'll gladly reimburse you for your time and trouble.

Arran, No luck with Radio Daze. Couldn't find it in their arsenal of dial scales.

Greg V.
West Bend, WI
Member WARCI.org

I don't have a printer that would print on plastic either. I've tried and the ink beads like water on wax. You could get clear decal paper, it prints well with an ink jet I bought some at a hobby store a couple years and it worked great for what I needed it for but I don't know how well it would work with a light shining through.

I have actually been taking with a friend that closed down her screen printing T shirt shop due to lack of business about making dials instead. She looked at a couple glass, plastic and metal dials on my radios and said they would be no problem. So she is going to practice with a couple dials to see how well they look, if they turn out nice I will post on here about making them. Only catch is, the first one of a design printed would be the most expensive because of the screens for every color but after we make the screens we can use them over and over.

Either way, if I have a good scan I would fix the graphics for you and email it back.

Thanks Todd! Sent you a PM.

Greg V.
West Bend, WI
Member WARCI.org

this was the best I could do with the scan resolution

Put the scan on a thumb drive and take it over to Kinkos. I had them print a reverse image on a sticker. Cost around $15.00 to have 3 printed (in case of screw-up). Mine came out nice.

Eric
Lake in the Hills, IL
Member: Philco Phorum, ARF, ARCI & Radiomuseum.org

Wow! Thanks so much, Todd! That looks fantastic. I've sent you a PM.

Greg V.
West Bend, WI
Member WARCI.org

Well I managed to get the dial to work on decal paper, transferred on to plexi-glass. The good news is the ink jet decal paper doesn't print white, so any of the white areas were left clear. Which is good so that the dial pointer shows through. The bad news is, since most of the graphics were a light cream color / off white, I had to make them darker so they would print. Now the original dial background was black, and with these darker colors, the graphics wouldn't show up very well. So, I simply glued some white paper over the black dial face and turned it into a white dial face! Now the graphics show through nice and clear....

For what amounts to Crosley's equivalent of Philco's Transitone line, I think this will be an acceptable fix. I couldn't see spending $40 to have a dial scale professionally made, when I only paid $10 for the radio itself! It's not a very valuable or desirable radio even in restored condition.

Greg V.
West Bend, WI
Member WARCI.org

Came out good enuff I say!.

Paul

Tubetalk1