Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Stromberg Carlson cap ?

Hi all,
I have a Stromberg Carlson  430M console and I have started to recap and I have a couple of cap questions.

#1 c-21 I read it as  20mf @ 25v ? this is a paper cap that has 20-25 on it I looked at the print and I see a 20mf I want to replace it with a 22mf@50v electrolytic is this ok?

2# c-41 is a .005 @ 1200v   all I have is a 630v  the closest I have to this is a .01 @ 1600v should I series two of them or I'm I good with a 630v cap?

http://www.nostalgiaair.org/PagesByModel...021539.pdf

Thanks

Eric

1. This is not a paper cap, it is an electrolytic, and should be replaced with one as well. 22uF is OK.
2. I think 630V would be OK (I think it is for those radios where you could potentially unplug the speaker on-thye-fly and create overvoltage) but if you feel uneasy about it, serialize two caps of twice the capacitance 630V ea.

Here is a picture of what I call a paper cap I have never seen anything like this in my very limited experience which is why I'm questioning it I do not believe it is a electrolytic cap so what is it? The position of the cap I verified both by the wiring diagram and the schematic. 

Eric 

Attached Files Image(s)

That's an electrolytic cap. At one time they were made like that in cardboard tubes. Note the + symbol at the left end in the photo.

Just never saw one like that, also the braided leads were quite different.
Thanks all

Two .01 uf 630 vdc caps is .005 uf 1260 vdc in series, I take it this one is a tone compensation cap across the output transformer primary? The electrolytic is probably a bypass connected in parallel with the bias resistor on the audio output tube, if so then 22 uf at 20 vdc is fine, in fact you could use pretty much anything there if it's at least 20 vdc, 20 volts is sort of an odd voltage rating for a small electrolytic anyhow, sort of like finding a 1/3 watt resistor.
Regards
Arran