Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Silvertone dial lamps

I just started rebuilding a Silvertone 101.614 chassis. The triple capacitor metal can is missing, and I know I can just replace it with three individual caps, but the three dial lamps are missing also. Does anyone know what type bulbs these are? The schematic is really hard to read. It looks like it says type 66, but I cannot find any reference to a type 66 bulb. It will be a while before I can actually power it up, so I just wanted to replace the lamps first.

Thanks in advance.

Pat

Pat, it really helps to post a picture of the radio or at least a link to the schematic so we can help.
Jerry

A friend in need is a pest!  Bill Slee ca 1970.

Pat,
After looking at a magnified schematic, I believe the dial lamp is a #44.

Carl
Northern Panhandle, WV

.pdf M0017909.pdf Size: 66.73 KB  Downloads: 100

(10-17-2014, 05:54 PM)jerryhawthorne Wrote:  Pat, it really helps to post a picture of the radio or at least a link to the schematic so we can help.
Jerry

Sorry Jerry,

Here's the only schematic I could find.
.pdf M0017909.pdf Size: 66.73 KB  Downloads: 100

(10-17-2014, 06:24 PM)Carl Travis Wrote:  Pat,
After looking at a magnified schematic, I believe the dial lamp is a #44.

Thanks Carl,

I'll go with that. But now, I've run into another problem, thanks to an unreadable schematic.

The schematic shows two line-to-ground caps, C45 and C46. However, the chassis has one across-the-line cap, .01 @ 600V. Can I replace that with an X2 safety cap, AND and two .01 Y2 caps as well? Or should I just remove the across-the-line cap and add two line-to-ground caps, as the schematic indicates?

Pat

If indeed it is a 44 bulb you may want to use a 47. It runs a bit cooler. Some sets have the bulb very close to plastics dial which can be problematic. You may have seen sets with brown or black marks on the dial. Those can be burn marks  from the bulb.
The voltage for the bulb is usually connected in parallel off of the heater winding on the power transformer. Where you could run in to problem is if your set powered the bulb off of the AC line though a balist tube or the heaters strung in series. Your set doesn't. In this type of circuit the voltage and current are very important. Wrong bulb can burned out( usually very quickly), damage the balist tube or other tube in that heater circuit
GL
Terry

(10-17-2014, 06:57 PM)Radioroslyn Wrote:  If indeed it is a 44 bulb you may want to use a 47. It runs a bit cooler. Some sets have the bulb very close to plastics dial which can be problematic. You may have seen sets with brown or black marks on the dial. Those can be burn marks  from the bulb.
The voltage for the bulb is usually connected in parallel off of the heater winding on the power transformer. Where you could run in to problem is if your set powered the bulb off of the AC line though a balist tube or the heaters strung in series. Your set doesn't. In this type of circuit the voltage and current are very important. Wrong bulb can burned out( usually very quickly), damage the balist tube or other tube in that heater circuit
GL
Terry
Even though the schematic doesn't show it, I've got three lamps in series off of the heater windings. Still use #47?

Pat

Pat, I would follow the schematic and replace the line input with two .01mfd either "Y" or "XY" caps as indicated.  Replace the existing one across the A/C line.  These should be "safety caps" used in this position.  They will not fail shorted which is nice across the A/C line.  Many people just remove them totally.  It won't hurt the radio but may increase the noise from A/C line problems.  
Best,  Jerry

A friend in need is a pest!  Bill Slee ca 1970.

(10-17-2014, 07:22 PM)jerryhawthorne Wrote:  Pat, I would follow the schematic and replace the line input with two .01mfd either "Y" or "XY" caps as indicated.  Replace the existing one across the A/C line.  These should be "safety caps" used in this position.  They will not fail shorted which is nice across the A/C line.  Many people just remove them totally.  It won't hurt the radio but may increase the noise from A/C line problems.  
Best,  Jerry

Thanks Jerry,

Just the answer I was looking for.

Pat

Hey Pat
Are you sure the bulbs are in series?? That would mean that each bulb would have to be rated @ 2v each.
Terry

(10-18-2014, 07:33 AM)Radioroslyn Wrote:  Hey Pat
Are you sure the bulbs are in series?? That would mean that each bulb would have to be rated @ 2v each.
Terry

My error, Terry.

Maybe I need to change my medication. They are in parallel.

Pat