Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Hello Guys & Gals,
I bought a new heard of radios. One is a (1932 to 1936?) tombstone Emjay. At first I thought this was a frankenstein radio, but on the inside there is a sticker that calls this a Emjay and uses 32 volt. There is no place for batteries. A little more reading brings out that the light power suppliers have bad grounds and if radio does not work very well flip plug. The plug looks like it is very old but both contacts look like there are the same size. To me this is strange for a DC radio.

Does anyone have any information on this radio. I can find nothing on the internet about this radio. There is no model number on the sticker or even patent application.

I think this radio was made for farm life that had a 32 volt DC generator, of course I am wrong more times then I am right. 

One other problem I tried to remove radio from cabinet but one of the knobs will not come off. I tried placing two small screwdrivers between knob and cabinet. No luck removing.
All of the other knobs are round shaft with no flat spot or set screw. It looks like it was a friction fit and someone glued one to a shaft. If it is glued any ideas on how to remove without destroying the knob.

This uses two #48, #85, #6d6, two #6e6. The last three tubes I think are right as I misplaced the tube list I made and I have the radio on display. 

Thanks for your help,
Ed.

Danger Will Roberson, Grammar Dyslexia.

I had a similar knob problem; you can read the thread here   http://philcoradio.com/phorum/showthread.php?tid=7454 .  It includes a number of ideas to help get it off.  WD-40 and a some heat on the shaft worked for me.

Don't use screwdrivers to pry knobs off, EVER! Sometimes you can unbolt the chassis and move it forward enough to get behind the knob, if you can do that squirt some WD40 or PB Blaster on the shaft and let it soak, this will hopefully break up the rust or whatever is holding the knob on. Then you can use either a rag or a thick string wrapped around the back of the knob to get a better grip. If that does not work you can sometimes wrap the rag or string around shaft enough to force the knob off with pressure.
Regards
Arran

Thanks for the info and taking the knob off the shaft. 

Ed.