Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

It's All French to Me

I have posted the story of my new Liotard (yah, what a name) on my blog along with a movie of it in operation. It is quit a divergence from US built radios at the time.

Interesting thing is that while Westinghouse, ATT, GE, Fleming Marconi and others were all held up in litigation, in Europe they were going gang-busters building triodes using the improvements discovered by the engineers at Westinghouse.

I tested some of these early European triodes on my Hickok 600A using an adaptor that I built and setting for either a 201A or a 199 but in this case a 4V filament, and got GM reading of about 1500. I get about 1000 off of a new UX201 and the spec. for my Hickok says that 450 is good. So these European tubes perform very well.

Additionally the radio uses a plate voltage of only 40V. Anything more makes the regen even HARDER to tune.

The best pictures are in the video, but here are some still shots. Pay particular attention to the location of the tubes.

"I just might turn into smoke, but I feel fine"
http://www.russoldradios.com/

Very cool!  I saw that one as well and thought it would be a good one for you...glad you got it and glad to hear it working!