Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 50-T1430

Here is my only other Philco set. This was basically thrown in for free when I bought my 18LS console a few years back and I finally decided to pull it out and check things over. The 12LP4 in this set tests pretty good as well, not as well as the one in my 49-1275, but still has plenty of life left in it. Seems to be missing the high voltage cage, although I can't figure out how it mounted and it looks like the TV was operated without it.

No matter where you go, there you are.

Very cool! I've never seen that model before. I found some info on it in Riders volume 6 where they state the chassis is the same as that used in the tabletop model 50-T1400.

I believe the HV cover would look like this one in my 50-T1402.

https://flic.kr/p/72Safx

That looks like it might indeed be the right HV cover. It also explains how mine got lost seeing it just sort of slips over the whole high voltage section.
As far as research goes, all I seem to pop up is the bakelite table model. This explains the speaker placement right on the front of the chassis in mine. I've run across a few of the bakelite models over the years, but usually they are high priced. Guess this console version might be a bit more scarce.

Hmm that must be the 50T-701. It's the last 7" B&W set Philco or anyone made and uses a different chassis. I'm sure yours is more scarce Icon_smile

The 50T-1401 is relatively common set. Here are some photos of one: https://www.flickr.com/photos/89290354@N...4995372740
Photo 

(11-28-2014, 08:37 PM)Bob Andersen Wrote:  The 50T-1401 is relatively common set.

My grandparents had one.  Here it is at Christmas 1951
[Image: http://www.wa2ise.com/radios/familyalbum-phtv.jpg]

I found one thing I really like about this set: you don't have to pull the CRT out just to clean the back of the safety glass and face of the CRT! There is a piece of trim right above the screen that is held in by four screws. Remove those and you can then carefully pop that off and remove the safety glass for cleaning. It's like some of my video arcade games! Icon_biggrin

(12-01-2014, 09:03 PM)Jayce Wrote:  I found one thing I really like about this set: you don't have to pull the CRT out just to clean the back of the safety glass and face of the CRT! There is a piece of trim right above the screen that is held in by four screws. Remove those and you can then carefully pop that off and remove the safety glass for cleaning......
One of my earliest childhood memories is our old B & W television, and while I don't recall the brand, I do remember my mom removing that glass to clean it.  I remember being so excited because I thought I'd be able to reach in and touch the people.... I was so disappointed when my little hand hit the face of the CRT and I realized that wasn't going to happen.   Icon_crazy  

John KK4ZLF
Lexington, KY
"illegitimis non carborundum"