Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

1936 Wurlitzer

This jukebox came to me in very very bad shape. I had no other choice but to re veneer the whole thing including the substrate layer under the veneer. water and carpenter ants ruined it. But as you can see it lives again. I don't have any pics of it completed, can post those at  later time .

wow thats sharp please post finshed pic too

Awesome cabinet and restoration. We look forward to more details of inner and outer restoration.

Fred

Did you mean "Wurlitzer" ?

Fred, you do really nice work. Thanks for posting.
Jerry

A friend in need is a pest!  Bill Slee ca 1970.

Great work Fred ! Icon_biggrin  How are you able to cover such large area's (sides) with new veneer and keep it from bubbling ?
I take it  that you are using special glue fast dry (white ?) and not contact cement. You must have a ton of clamps. I know everyone seems to be talking about vacuum bagging, but that would require the cabinet to be  disassembled in order to do the  pieces flat. I have a Wurlitzer 1015 that needs new veneer, but I'm a little leery about how to proceed. I have a vacuum pump but not the bag or fittings yet. I've thought about doing the 2 sides and arch separately. You are lucky in that you said you are close by some good wood shops. I am not so lucky around these parts.
Keep posting all that nice work you do. Icon_clap
Tony 

Looks great!  I really like the look of the radio.
Yes tell us more about the veneer process. We want to know all your secrets. I am currently applying some for the first time.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!RESISTANCE IS FUTILE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  
                           /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

[Image: http://philcoradio.com/phorum/images/smi...on_eek.gif]  Chris

Looks like a model 412. Nice!

(01-06-2015, 12:29 AM)thirtiesradio Wrote:  Looks like a model 412. Nice!

I BELIEVE IT IS A 412, I MITE BE GETTING A MODEL 500 SOON FOR A RESTORE , ITS OWNED BY A  RESTRAUNT CHAIN HERE IN DALLAS AND THE OWNER OFF THE RESTRAUNT CHAIN MAY WANT IT DONE SO HE CAN PUT IT HIS HOUSE, AND ON TOP OF THAT (HOPEING) I AM GOING TO TRY AND GET HIM TO ADD ANTIQUE RADIOS TO HIS RESTRAUNTS AS THEY HAVE ANTIQUE STUFF AS PART OF THE DECOR. Icon_wave

(01-06-2015, 12:16 AM)OZ4 Wrote:  Looks great!  I really like the look of the radio.
Yes tell us more about the veneer process. We want to know all your secrets. I am currently applying some for the first time.

What I do is make a templet out of construction paper , make sure it fits good using taks , tape, Then lay templet on your veneer making sure the grain is the way you want it, cut veneer a little bigger than templet and try to fit it using tacks , tape . Then trim veneer or sand and refit till its fits perfect ,so that it fits like a puzzle piece. But wait,Leave a little hang over on the outer edges you will trim that off  later .Then your ready to glue both surfaces . I use 3m high strength contact glue. This is the hardest part ok , you got 1 shot at it ,  start at 1 inside corner and very slowly lay down veneer while holding up the rest of it making sure its touching where you want it then keep going.  You can not back up , if it looks like it is off your screwed, Rip it off , try again . There are better ways but I don't know them. Once you got your veneer down then use a veneer roller and roll it down hard, then trim your outer edges . There are a lot of ways to do this, I don't have the tools like the vacuum  pump deal. I have messed up some veneer doing it my way , I got it down now. I hope that helps you. P.S. the tiny holes from the tacks you can use wood putty , you will never see them when finished properly. Fred  Taylor

(01-07-2015, 06:48 PM)Fred Taylor Wrote:  
(01-06-2015, 12:29 AM)thirtiesradio Wrote:  Looks like a model 412. Nice!

I BELIEVE IT IS A 412, I MITE BE GETTING A MODEL 500 SOON FOR A RESTORE , ITS OWNED BY A  RESTRAUNT CHAIN HERE IN DALLAS AND THE OWNER OFF THE RESTRAUNT CHAIN MAY WANT IT DONE SO HE CAN PUT IT HIS HOUSE, AND ON TOP OF THAT (HOPEING) I AM GOING TO TRY AND GET HIM TO ADD ANTIQUE RADIOS TO HIS RESTRAUNTS AS THEY HAVE ANTIQUE STUFF AS PART OF THE DECOR. Icon_wave
A Wurlitzer 500 has a BIG cabinet. I had a 500 quite a while back. I have a 412 and mine originally ran off of DC power. It was in a mining town in Eastern Nevada and the town still had DC line power until the 50's. I bought the 1950's jukebox that had replaced the 412 in 1956 when the town converted to AC. When I went to pick the 1950's jukebox up the guy told me to take the 412 too if I wanted it. It had sat in this building unused and untouched since 1956 as the town had been using AC line power. Because of this it is almost perfect. I had to get a Wurlitzer AC motor and the correct amplifier/volume control to convert it back to AC power. I still have the 412 in storage.