Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average

Kirk's Jackson Bell 62

Nice job on the mershons . I have been trying to keep up with this thread. Look foward to you firing it up.

(02-02-2015, 08:52 PM)OldRestorer Wrote:  Nope, Icon_lol

The speaker would not help anyway,

See below, Icon_eek
Kirk;
He mostly needs the speaker for the field coil, and the output transformer if it's mounted on the speaker.
Regards
Arran

Speaker came with zero cone. I actually re-coned it last night after finding it in a box in a pile under a few totes, in the corner by some raios in the garage. Icon_mrgreen

If I did it right, it should work but I cant test it.
I will try to get it in the mail to you if the ice ever melts. I will include the speaker for the silvertone 45 that I re-coned last year. 

Kirk

Attached Files Image(s)

Times I have been electrocuted in 2021
As of 1/01/2021
AC: 4 DC: 1
Last year: 6

Kirk

Before you mail it to me, see if

1. The field coil conducts (on the order of 1kOhm or so..units of kOhms),
2. Primary of the output transformer is good (a few hundred Ohms to a few kOhms).
If yes, let me know first, as I will try the one I have tonight, and if it works, we could skip that mailing things, as the less stuff I have right now the better, considering the impending move.

3. If it comes to shipping, throw in a power cord if you have one you want installed.
4. And the 42 tube is weak. Will likely work, but keep in mind it is weak (800 vs 1600 req min for a new one) and a stronger one might work better.

But I am getting ahead of myself, let's first hear it speak.

kirk
finding it in a box in a pile under a few totes, in the corner by some radios in the garage
see that proves your a hoarder Icon_e_ugeek

you can keep 3 radios the rest mike will have to remove
shhh no crying or hissy fits Icon_shh
has to be done Icon_twisted
mike just call 1 800-got junk as most are his halson`s

Some day, and that day may never come, I will call upon you to do a service for me. But until that day, accept this justice as a gift
mafiamen2

Silly Mike, I dont know how to test it, Icon_sad

I set the ohm meter to low ohms and where do I put the leads?

Kirk

As of 1/01/2021

Across the fied coil, you simpleton!

OK. Look at the 4 prongs of the plug.
Position it so the two fat ones are at the bottom.

Then,

1. Between the fat ones there will be the xfmr primary, about few hundred ohm to a couple of kilos.
2. Between the two slim ones above it - the field coil. Possibly a couple of kilos.

Some good news, some bad.
Good news is, I probably do not need the speaker.

Bad news:

The B+ did not develop, I did not wait for smoke so, an anode coil shorted in one of the transformers to GND.

While investigating, I see that someone did the hackjob on one of them, and when I pobe it, it fell apart.
I will be able to repair that.

Another one simply has the grid side coil open, will investigate tomorrow.

Well, we will see...will continue.

Yikes but I know you can do it!

kirk

As of 1/01/2021

Yeah right Icon_lol

Well, one was fairly easy.
They use screwed up way of connecting the trimmer cap to the coil by running a separate wire from it to the same lug the coil onnects to, and this wire has rotted out (green desease).

The other, I was able to solder a magnet wire to the anode coil, and not put a dab of fabric glue for it to immobilize, waiting to dry.
Meantime I noticed I pre-threaded the other end of the wire via the wrong eyelet, so I will thread another one, tie a nod and pull it.

The short has misteriously disappeared while I was manipulating the coils, which I do not like, but OK, maybe it was a loose end or tilted can (which is a problem here - the cans ARE loose in their bases).

(02-03-2015, 11:55 AM)morzh Wrote:  Kirk

Before you mail it to me, see if

1. The field coil conducts (on the order of 1kOhm or so..units of kOhms),
2. Primary of the output transformer is good (a few hundred Ohms to a few kOhms).
If yes, let me know first, as I will try the one I have tonight, and if it works, we could skip that mailing things, as the less stuff I have right now the better, considering the impending move.

3. If it comes to shipping, throw in a power cord if you have one you want installed.
4. And the 42 tube is weak. Will likely work, but keep in mind it is weak (800 vs 1600 req min for a new one) and a stronger one might work better.

But I am getting ahead of myself, let's first hear it speak.

Mike;
  I think that this set uses a #45 for a power output tube, is that the one that's weak? I see that in the pictures posted the #45 appears to be an older balloon type, before you write it off as weak it may be worth having a go at desoldering and re soldering the pins on the base. I've noticed that on those 2.5 volt AC tubes in general, and on the earlier ones specifically, the solder they used on the pins is not that great and builds up some resistance, the grid and filament pins are especially prone to this. I've taken the bases off of some of these types of tubes with lacquer thinner, sanded off the leads, cemented the base back on with windshield adhesive, resoldered the leads to the pins, and wound up with a good tube. Other then that it should be possible to find a good used #45 in ST style, if not then a 1619 with adapter, or a 2A5 or 47 with adapter, would work.
Regards
Arran
Arran

(02-03-2015, 08:22 AM)OldRestorer Wrote:  Speaker came with zero cone. I actually re-coned it last night after finding it in a box in a pile under a few totes, in the corner by some raios in the garage. Icon_mrgreen

If I did it right, it should work but I cant test it.
I will try to get it in the mail to you if the ice ever melts. I will include the speaker for the silvertone 45 that I re-coned last year. 

Kirk

Kirk;
  As long as you slipped some shims, such as some strips of old film negatives, in-between the voice coil and the pole piece before you glued the cone down it should work, that is if the field coil and voice coil are still good.
Regards
Arran

Arran

Thanks, good info.
BTW how does windshield adhesive behave on hot glass? If we think of the same subtance, it is a flexible hermetic sealer, right?

As for the tube itself, at this point I am not planning to toss it as even a weaker output tube might very well work just fine, as so do my 6A5 on 37-116 who are, relative to their required minimum, even weaker but still work great.

arron
I had a bad 45 nothing between large pins
heated wiggled wires resoldered working now  at 70% Icon_clap Icon_clap

mike
I have 2 45`s   55% and 70% if you need

Some day, and that day may never come, I will call upon you to do a service for me. But until that day, accept this justice as a gift
mafiamen2