Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Phillips Jupiter 543 restoration questions

Hi all,
I'm new to antique radios and have acquired a very cool Jupiter 543, which I believe was produced in Germany, as all the large German cities are represented on the glass facing.

Questions: What may be the approximate value of this if I do choose to have it put back into operable condition and who may know of someone that can undertake cleaning and repairing the electronics for me?  Also, would it benefit me to have the cabinet restored, as it is crazed quite a bit.

It's a very cool radio and I'd like to see it back in running order.

Thanks,

Mike

I think it is not Philco.
It is Philips.
Needs to go to Other Radios.

ahhh.. you are correct... sorry

Hi Mike, Welcome to the Phorum!  I moved the thread to the correct Phorum category...no problem.  Not sure what your radio would be worth when restored but many radios sell for less than the cost of restoration especially if you don't do the work yourself.  Some repair and restoration folks can be found here.  I believe the folks at RadioDaze.com also do repair/restoration.  Check to see if there are any local radio clubs as well, there might be folks in your area that would help.

Mike

restoration, if done by self, can be anywhere from 10 bucks to a couple of hundred, depends on how bad it is.
As for if cabinet restoration benefits you.....you are the one and only person in the whole world who can answer that, as it is pure aesthetics and does not affect performance.

Paying someone to restore a radio for you is usually a loser in terms of resale value, a lot depends on what you paid for the set to begin with, sometimes even if it was free it still ends up being a loser. Most of us buy a radio because we like the set or because we find it interesting for one reason or another, not for resale.
 From what I can tell this set looks like a typical late 1950s piano key German set, except that it is Dutch make and not a German one even if it was aimed at the German/Austrian markets. I see asking prices for some German sets in the $200-$300 range on fleabay if they are working top end models of certain makes like a Blaupunkt, but then again those are buy it now prices and if they don't take offers they seldom sell. It's basically worth whatever someone wants to pay for it, there is really no guide to what things are worth unless there are lots of other examples to go by, and what you have invested in it really has no bearing on what it's worth to someone else. 
Regards
Arran