Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

mallory capacitor

I would say any high-value (1000µF?) electrolytic at a few volts should do. If necessary you can get the voltage rating from knowing the power-supply output voltage.

Alan

Don't you think it is a bit too much? This thing is, what, 1930s, right? And even if 50s, the size of a 1000uF cap back then was humongous, and in 30s they were simply not available for home equipment.

I would still like to know where it goes in the sch. I wonder if Sam could try to look inside, cannot be too complicated in there, see what they have for a rectifier. if a tube, then the cap can be figured out from the tube itself.

What voltage is it hooked up to?

But 1000uF......doubt it.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

Large electrolytics existed. I have a Tobe A-supply from around 1928 that uses them. They weren't rated by capacitance, though, but by ohms. And of course they're totally corroded and leaky now, so you can't measure them.

So if rated by Ohms, was it the impedance at the rectified frequency?
Say, 120 Hz.
This would yield 13,000 uF.
In this tube?

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

Something like that, but since they were really bad capacitors, leakage may have figured into the measurement too. I read an explanation once, probably ten years ago, no idea where.

I wonder if they had supercaps back then.......Icon_lol

hey guy`s
I threw it back to getter not pretty but in can was 10 and 20 cap but didn`t have them so I put 33 in temp
reconnected Mallory cap good tube all I get was 1.6v on dc
[Image: http://i1303.photobucket.com/albums/ag14...eor1sg.jpg]
click on it and scroll over to see more
if nothing else I have battery connectors Icon_confused
I only seen 1 other like it on utube and he has not contacted me back
think it`s because of my name 8)
sam

Some day, and that day may never come, I will call upon you to do a service for me. But until that day, accept this justice as a gift
mafiamen2

1.6V may be normal if it was meant to power a portable radio.

First of, if you reconnected a bad cap, what good is you reading then, if the cap is simply not working: you cannot judge the voltage for being good or bad.

Find out what you need first.
I can see for now here we could not help you much so far, so time is for you to maybe ask around and if someone tells you for sure what the values and voltages are, get modern caps, stick them in and then it will make some more sense; up 'till now it's not been awfully poductive.

Mike
Look at post 17 I'm showing where it goes tube is 5y3
For giggles power up tube lights 
Like I said only seen 1 other and found no other info 

Some day, and that day may never come, I will call upon you to do a service for me. But until that day, accept this justice as a gift
mafiamen2