Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Ecap help

It's got a balist tube.
Terry

Ok I am at the house and just opened the ecap. There are 2 large caps, each with one wire going directly into the cap. The other wire on each does not go to the cap directly but is attached to a thin metal strip going into the other end of the cap. The one caps wire is going directly into the cap is grounded to chassis. On the other cap the wire going directly into the cap is going to a terminal strip. What should the mfd be for these?

Any ideas?

Wrong schematic I guess?

someone said the 979 schematic had the block with 2 ecaps in it but schematic is impossible to read.

Kirk

Attached Files Image(s)

Times I have been electrocuted in 2021
As of 1/01/2021
AC: 4 DC: 1
Last year: 6

The schematic we've been looking at definitely doesn't match the radio. I will look at the model 979 schematic you mention in an hour or two. If that looks better, I'll let you know about the caps.

I will follow all the wires from the 2 caps and let you all know exactly where they connect to.

Then maybe your expertise can make an educated guess. I am in love with this POC radio and paid $80.00 for it at K-town so I want it to work great and hopefully look great when I restore the cabinet.

Thanks PA, YOur help is much appreciated.

Kirk

Attached Files Image(s)

As of 1/01/2021

Could that be the strip inside was connecting the two caps' minusses?
Then two neg. wires would be the same, and so chassis would be connected to that solder post the other wire was going to.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

come kirk you can do it Icon_clap Icon_clap  Icon_yawn   very shape looking radio/clock
sam Icon_twisted

Some day, and that day may never come, I will call upon you to do a service for me. But until that day, accept this justice as a gift
mafiamen2

Kirk,

I don't know how to sort this bad boy out. Looking at the Model 979 schematic, there are differences. On the good side, that schematic shows 2 caps (both 20 uF), but there are tube line-up differences. The converter is a 6K8 (instead of a 6A7), the IF is a 6K6 (instead of 6D6), the rectifier is a 25Z6 (instead of a 25Z5), and the ballast is a BM43B instead of a BM49C.

According to my tube substitution data, the 6K8 and 6A7 are not subs for one another. The 6K6 and the 6D6 are similar though not direct substitutes. The rectifier tubes seem to be direct replacements.
I don't believe that the ballast tube difference is very significant (maybe someone down the line swapped a '49C for the original '43B).

In any event, if you want to go with that schematic, both caps are shown as 20 uF caps, but I honestly don't think the Model 979 is the right model to use. Too many differences.

I agree so I will get all the info and post it.
No Mike, they were definitely separate caps. I believe the negatives go to chassis for one and the terminal strip for the other but let me check.
Kirk

As of 1/01/2021

Should've checked if the two buzzed short before opening it.

I tell you this, short of having the sch your only option is tracing the wire.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

(03-12-2015, 01:55 PM)morzh Wrote:  Should've checked if the two buzzed short before opening it.

I tell you this, short of having the sch your only option is tracing the wire.

Option #2:  YOUIcon_lol

Not really though, once I finish your cabinets, I am taking the summer to do MY radios. They are so neglected  Icon_cry

Kirk

As of 1/01/2021

Kirk,
 I thought on the other site you said it was made by Automatic Radio of Boston. Did that idea change?
                                           Henry

No Henry, It is an Automatic radio corp model 919, Why?

Kirk

As of 1/01/2021

Kirk,
 I am still digging thru books and it was a help to see the cabinet .It doesn't look like an Automatic to me but I have been fooled before. I looked thru the radiomania books trying to match it up with no luck. 
 As yet I haven't found a listing for the 919 and as I said before the 979 used an eye tube so that's out. What does the tag on the chassis say?
                                           Thanks,
                                                    Henry

Thanks for the research Henry,

Here is the tag. Hazeltine radio corp and automatic radio mfg 
A guy I know said it is a rare bird. He restores automatics and said all he could find is that the 919 became the 911 in the forties. But the schematic is wrong.

Tomorrow is another day.

Kirk

Attached Files Image(s)

As of 1/01/2021

Ok so I just went and put in (2) 20 mfd ecaps and she came on but no sound. 
I had it get some stations before but now silence. just a light hum of the speaker.

I think this is going on the shelf labeled you know who.  Icon_lol

Thats 2 radios in a row that I could not revive  Icon_thumbdown Icon_rolleyes

Makes me wanna quit but I know I just have to learn learn learn!

Any suggestions before she gets put away?

Kirk

As of 1/01/2021