Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Car Radio Push Button Issue

While working on 60's & 70's Philco car radios, I occasionally come across a push button that wont set to a new station.  It will just revert back to the previous "memorized" station.  Anyone know how to fix this issue?  Many of the radios that I come across have very "sticky" push buttons and that problem I am able to take care of with some silicone spray.  However, I haven't found a simple fix for the preset problem.  More silicone spray maybe??  Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Craig R.

Not real familiar with the Philco sets,but I'd be careful with silicone spray. Some set have clutches that need to have some friction to operate. I would suspect that cln and lub should fix it. I would try brakeclean carefully to cln it.
Terry

Thanks, Terry, for the info.  I do stay away from the clutches when using silicone.  It is used for the metal on metal areas.  Sometimes the clutch disc is frozen and it takes some gentle persuasion to separate the rubber/metal discs.  The push buttons will not operate in this case as the clutch will not disengage.  On the other hand, sometimes the discs slip too much which results in loss of manual tuning.  In this case, a little piece of sandpaper between the discs can be helpful.

Craig R.