Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

One more Rogers console

I think that those fluted pilasters on the front corners were toned dark as well, they may have had sort of a rubbed look to them. I used to own a Rogers battery console from that same era and it had something like that. They were all finished with a gloss lacquer by the way, I saw an all original rolling pin dial console about 20+ years ago and that was how it was.
 The chassis is rather interesting, there are several extra socket holes punched into it that they then added caps to cover up, no doubt that they used that same chassis for several models, maybe in the 10-12 as well. Not all the holes would have been for tube sockets of course, there is probably one or more where it is used for an extra IF can or an RF transformer.
Regards
Arran

Thanks Arran.   I was thinking along the same lines about the pilasters.   I have several Rogers radios and
 I feel that it should be a little darker.. when I got the radio is was partially stripped [just the easy areas]  so I don't know what it looked like before it was stripped.
  I probably will give it a couple of coats of something like medium walnut and see what it looks like.. if I don't like it   I can always use lacquer thinner to remove it. 
   I can't find any photos of the same cabinet to make a comparison.
As far as the gloss is concerned I know a lot of rogers had a high sheen , but I have a couple of high end Rogers [10-12] that don't have a shiny surface.. 
 I can always give it a high gloss and if it does not look the way I want , I can give it a coat of satin or something. Here is a photos of one of mine with a high gloss[original]
   I do appreciate the input   Dan

Attached Files Image(s)

Living in Calgary Alberta

It's kind of hard to describe, it's is a gloss but it has sort of a burnished look rather then a wet or a plastic look, sort of between a high gloss and a semi gloss, it seems to have been almost an industry standard except for cheap sets like a Philco model 81. I think that your cabinet may have been made by Kneitchel like my 10-60 was, it had that look I described at one time, some were made by Mclaggan, others by The Stratharoy company. Sometimes it's hard to tell exactly what it looked like when it was new, a nice gloss finish can go dull just from improper storage, or because of a buildup of wax or oil from previous owners adding furniture polish. I made a habit of rubbing the original finish on a cabinet down with Gojo cream hand cleaner, even if I planned to strip and refinish it, just to get an idea what the proper colours looked like. I think that gloss is always the best way to start, you can always make a high gloss semi gloss by rubbing it out with pumice after it cures for a few weeks, and skipping the rottenstone rub down, of course there are more modern alternatives for abrasives used by the auto body industry as well.
  With regard to the pilasters, I was thinking that you could try some sort of penetrating stain, either the stuff Mohawk sells, or the aniline dye Lee Valley sells. I've even used dark brown Rit fabric dye just to darken the blond wood before adding the shading lacquer, then you need fewer coats, though the aniline is more effective.
Regards
Arran

I finally got the cabinet finished and the chassis put back in.. I was listening to Havana radio last night on short wave on this radio.. I think it is quite good considering I live in Calgary, Alberta..
  I sure do like these Rogers and Marconi radios. here is the finished radio.

Attached Files Image(s)

Very nice job, Havana from Calgary, that thing has some real legs!
Jerry

A friend in need is a pest!  Bill Slee ca 1970.

Real nice job you did the Rodgers justice, what year is it about 1937-8 ? I love the cabinet design on the Canadian radios. I still love the American Philco radios. I seen your post on the other Porum and posted some of my Canadian radios pictures with your Rodgers if that's ok. Nice job Dan 

One beautiful radio! I love the different types of wood they used on the cabinet.

Thanks for the comments.. I saw your photos of  your radio, Fred, and that Marconi sure is nice. You did a very nice job on the cabinet. I have not seen one of those  yet, but if I do  I will surely buy it.  
  I find that sometimes the photos don't do justice to the radios because of the flash, but I can't take all my radios outside in the sun just to take pictures.