Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Speaker cabinet, Emerson, and Kadette Resto Chronicles

What a beautiful chassis the Kadette has.

All blue and clean. I got real lucky as someone re-coned the speaker too.

Attached Files Image(s)

Times I have been electrocuted in 2021
As of 1/01/2021
AC: 4 DC: 1
Last year: 6

That is a pretty chassis.  In your picture what is the large tube on the left front?  It looks like it might be a ballast tube, and it sure has a neat array of filaments in it.

John KK4ZLF
Lexington, KY
"illegitimis non carborundum"

Send me your dial pointer Arran Icon_mrgreen

I believe it is an 878 ballast but not 100% sure.

Kirk

As of 1/01/2021

Great work I wish I had the same skills!!! GREAT JOB!

I didnt do anything to it, just cleaned the dust off the tubes and chassis.

Kirk

As of 1/01/2021

BACK in action!

As of 1/01/2021

I noticed in the discussion talk about foggish plastic dial lenses because of oxidation causing micro cracking of the surface. I wonder if anyone has tried the poly polish that they use to restore plastic car headlight lenses on them ? I haven't, but I may next time I run into the problem, as it just occurred to me. I wonder if anyone here has tried it before me ?

I started from the beginning of the thread and I read "Stripping and cleaning a few feces".....then reread, and realized "few pieces" became "feces".
What a morning.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

Why? is it a crappy day? Icon_lolno

Me

As of 1/01/2021

(04-13-2016, 11:31 PM)mikethedruid Wrote:  I noticed in the discussion talk about foggish plastic dial lenses because of oxidation causing micro cracking of the surface. I wonder if anyone has tried the poly polish that they use to restore plastic car headlight lenses on them ? I haven't, but I may next time I run into the problem, as it just occurred to me. I wonder if anyone here has tried it before me ?

In the case of the Kadette, and many other sets with a celluloid dial lens you are dealing with what is essentially a thicker plastic film that was heated and molded into the required shape, headlight or taillight lenses are considerably thicker, maybe 3/32''of an inch at it's thinnest verses 1/32 at it's thickest for the celluloid, but maybe closer to .030'' of an inch. I don't think that it would be possible to buff or polish the cracking out of one of these, especially the Kadette, the cracking is on both sides and deep enough that there really would not be anything left of the plastic afterward.
Regards
Arran

That Kadette looks nice apart from the scottish inspired grill cloth... it has a very interesting output circuit as mentioned by Arran... I've never seen that before... what do you call it, Push-Push output?   Icon_eek  

How hard is poly to get off?  I feel guilty every time I use the stuff now... not quite guilty enough to not use it though Icon_razz  I've got one small cabinet I'm going to try and strip at some point just to see... that might stop me using the stuff if nothing else (including removal of manly parts with blunt rusty kitchen implements by certain members of Eastern European descent) does...  Icon_lol

There are no personal problems that can't be overcome with the liberal application of high explosives

(04-14-2016, 10:58 PM)Arran Wrote:  
(04-13-2016, 11:31 PM)mikethedruid Wrote:  I noticed in the discussion talk about foggish plastic dial lenses because of oxidation causing micro cracking of the surface. I wonder if anyone has tried the poly polish that they use to restore plastic car headlight lenses on them ? I haven't, but I may next time I run into the problem, as it just occurred to me. I wonder if anyone here has tried it before me ?

In the case of the Kadette, and many other sets with a celluloid dial lens you are dealing with what is essentially a thicker plastic film that was heated and molded into the required shape, headlight or taillight lenses are considerably thicker, maybe 3/32''of an inch at it's thinnest verses 1/32 at it's thickest for the celluloid, but maybe closer to .030'' of an inch. I don't think that it would be possible to buff or polish the cracking out of one of these, especially the Kadette, the cracking is on both sides and deep enough that there really would not be anything left of the plastic afterward.
Regards
Arran
These polishes don't wear down the old plastic, they lay down a thin layer of new plastic over the old as a liquid which fills the old scratches and cracks, and is buffed off the surface with a very smooth cloth. The result makes the scratches and dullness much less visible. The only other solution I can think of is to make a wooden mold that replicates the inside of your present dial cover, and make a new one with clear plastic with a vacu-forming outfit.

kiwi_steve Wrote:...it has a very interesting output circuit as mentioned by Arran... I've never seen that before...

That is a parallel output circuit. Notice how the elements of both tubes (plate, screen grid, control grid) are connected together?

I saw that type of output in a Silver-Marshall I restored for someone many years ago. It worked quite well.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Kiwi,
Making a dial cover is not that hard.
I made a tutorial on the forum a while ago with step by step instructions....

Let me look.....

Here:
http://philcoradio.com/phorum/showthread...dial+cover

Once I finish the others cabinets I will get to these If I can reach them from off the shelves Icon_lol
I have 4' of tubes and record players in the way... Icon_mrgreen

Cluttered me...

P.S. Not nice Sam... Not at all Icon_cry

As of 1/01/2021