Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

AWSOME MARCONI 136/Restored Finished

I did real well over the weekend at the Sargent's Auction in Garland tx. Heres a nice Marconi radio that was a must have and wasn't leaving without it. I also picked up  two 16b tombstones for under a hundred $ , and others. The Marconi plays but needs a tune up and a refinish job. Started teardown today and will post pictures with the after but for now here are the before pics.

Attached Files Image(s)

Don't try stripping that escutcheon Fred, it has a faux finish on top of it, just clean it with Gojo, touch it up, and maybe clear coat over it with lacquer if you need to, not sure about the one for the pushbuttons. I don't know what to suggest with the Marconi decal, I'm not sure if Radio Daze carries those or not, I'm guessing that they don't and I don't know who else would make them. You may have to strip around it very carefully if you want to preserve it, then lightly sand it and clear coat over it.
With regard to the electrical end, these sets usually have a pair of bias cells under the chassis, so you may have to figure out a substitute, or make circuit modifications to get that extra -1.5 volt bias. I'm not sure about this model but I have a Marconi model 157, and it has some rubber wiring, including on the power transformer. The speaker was made by Utah I believe, in spite of the decal, Marconi did not manufacture their own speakers, neither did Rogers for that matter.
Regards
Arran

Thanks Arran for the heads up , I did notice the escution was photo finish Icon_eek never seen that before on parts and very happy that nothing is wrong with to speak off. I can make a decal here at home if I have to with photo shop on my computer using decal paper. The escution isn't warped in any way  must be made out of baklite. Dick Morgan will supervise and direct me on all electrical work. He is a master and is handing down what he can to help me restore my radios 

Since I live in Canada, I think you should send me that radio.. I have some Marconies , but the model 136/37 is a very nice one. The wood in the cabinets on those is very nice.. Fred, if You need the schematics for it , I have the Marconi book, which also has the dial string drawing and cap values. The radio takes a 6u5 eye tube and there is a bias cell for the grid of the 6f6.
  I have always used a AG 13  1.5 volt battery for the bias cell.
  show us photos after the cabinet is done..
 Dan in Calgary...

Living in Calgary Alberta

Just finished this Marconi Friday. Im not happy with the decal i made but working on better color and will melt new decal over the existing decal. The decal I made was to transparent . I guess I will have to adjust the saturation on the printer. Other than that she turned out beautiful and plays nicely. I really was grateful that I was able I get this radio for the price of 230$. I know that I can double my investment  and restoration cost if I had to sell it. These Radios are hard to come and very collectable . I am planning on hanging on to it for awhile so I can enjoy it. 

Attached Files Image(s)

Very nice Fred!

Crist

(05-16-2015, 10:12 PM)Crist Rigotti Wrote:  Very nice Fred!

Tank u / Hay Crist, good seeing ya again today at swap meet , hay take a look at my favorite Philco that I restored awhile back, it is awesome and I still have it in my collection . Go to search on this website and look up 23x and you will see the pictures of it, it is a very rare set. Don,t fall down when you see it.

(05-16-2015, 10:35 PM)Fred Taylor Wrote:  
(05-16-2015, 10:12 PM)Crist Rigotti Wrote:  Very nice Fred!

Tank u / Hay Crist, good seeing ya again today at swap meet , hay take a look at my favorite Philco that I restored awhile back, it is awesome and I still have it in my collection . Go to search on this website and look up 23x and you will see the pictures of it, it is a very rare set. Don,t fall down when you see it.

Nice seeing you too!

You sure can find some unbelievable radios!  That 23X is sweeeet!

Crist