Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Hallicrafters S-38E- Alignment

Here is my Hallicrafters S-38E.
[Image: http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm38/...7txfmo.jpg]

The radio has been re-capped except for the Mica Caps and the couplate.
[Image: http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm38/...rmwmd8.jpg]

Problem is that when trying to align the bands they are way off. I seem to be running out of adjustment with the trimmers. This seems to be on all bands..

I will start to check the mica's and resistors values next and the couplate

Does anyone know if there is a better schematic available? I got mine from BAMA..

Thanks
Skip...

If I were restoring the set, I'd replace the resistors whilst doing the recap. Looks like about $2 worth for this set.

Yup sounds good. I will replace them all. I have had problems lately with Mica Caps.. So I will probably replace them also.

My problem is the schematic I have is very hard to read.

Thanks
Skip...

.pdf S-38E_MKII_Service_and_Owners_Manual.pdf Size: 3 MB  Downloads: 732
.pdf S-38E_MKII_Service_and_Owners_Manual.pdf Size: 3 MB  Downloads: 732
The s-38 series just do not track like you would want them to just the nature of the beast. Please get rid of the couplate it will cause many problems. Will try and attach some info. David

Attached Files
.pdf S-38E Schematic.pdf Size: 1.52 MB  Downloads: 374

The sch. only is much easier to read. I do not know why I have a double post on the service manual some days I am stupid when it come to computers! David

David, Ok thanks That schematic is so much better.. I really appreciate it.

I just changed a Cap that was way out of spec I thought... it was C16 My schematic said a 220 Pf the schematic you just gave me said 82 Pf.. My cap measured 80 Pf.. I guess I will change it back..

Thanks

Skip...

Ok started alignment.. No Go..Radio will not align on any of the bands. It will receive on all bands. But lets say on band 1 The AM band.. Started to align at 1500 Kc however the 1500 KC signal was no where to be found so I changed to 1000 KC it appeared at around 1300 Kc so tried to adjust trimmers and was able to move it a little to around 1200 Kc then I ran out of adjustment as the trimmer was fully open... This happens on all bands. What could cause all bands to not align??

Skip...

Welcome to the wonderful world of hallicrafters!!! During the winter months in the morning I can pick up AM 820 out of Tampa distance little over 200 miles some were between 800-860. If you just look at the band spread knob funny the station will play hide and seek. There are 2 different marks of the S38E the orginal C16 220pf markII C16 82pf I have no idea why. Search Beitmans look for Makearadio.com/beitmans.  For some reason I can not attach a dejv file to the phorum. Tracking on these things was never great from the factory, it is just a AA5 with extra coils.  David

Have you visited the web site of the S-38 Guy lots of good info. David

David, Yes I did. Thanks for the info. I found out why it was not aligning right.. The Dial string broke on the fine tuning band spread and the tuning cap was not where it should have been.. It was all the way over to 100 on dial.. So as soon as I moved it back to 0 and made sure the tuning cap was correct it aligned OK..

Now I need to get some dial cord and fix it.

Operator Error.. Lessen Learned..

The top end of band 4 is very bad. I read that a different 12BE6 can help with top end..

Thanks

Skip...

Hey Skip,
Just remember it  aint no 51J3!!!!

Terry

Yea, I know.. I had it laying around and decided to look at it.. It works pretty good considering..

I am almost done with my 42-1012.. Its working great and actually plays 78's... Only left to do is clean up the console a little and move into house...

Then onto next.. Probably my RCH Big old military receiver.. Built like a tank.. Until I can find another Philco..

Skip... Icon_wave