Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

1937 Truetone D-699 help?

Is the speaker for this type of radio a hard to find item?  Is the radio a rare one?  It's near Chicago and I'd like to buy it, if the speaker is available, but would need to find someone to ship it thru Greyhound for me.....seller won't ship...

Steve, attached is hopefully the proper schematic. It has a field coil speaker which may be a challenge to find without a donor chassis but not impossible.
Best, Jerry

http://www.nostalgiaair.org/pagesbymodel...023611.pdf

A friend in need is a pest!  Bill Slee ca 1970.

Jerry,
Unfortunately, I'm not good with the electronics part of radios. Is this a speaker that may have been used on other, more common radios? I can't imagine there are many Truetone consoles laying around out there... I really like the cabinet and dial on this radio, but the logistics on getting it to California, may be daunting.......Thanks for the help.
Steve

Steve, i'm not the sharpest knife on the Phorum, it is an 8" speaker with a field coil. The manufacture made radios under a number of names. Very attractive cabinet. It would no doubt cost more to get it to you than the price of the radio. Most people use Greyhound for delivery, cheaper, slower but a lot less handling. Not certain where Sanger is located or where the radio is located. I thought I knew most of CA. We are now in Placentia (Orange County). If the radio is relative close to you, time for a drive. Notice the schematic is Western Auto if correct. Relabeling and selling to others was very common which suggests that it shouldn't be too hard to find a speaker. Easy to post here in the "want to buy" or other forums. A lot of people have spare parts.
Good luck on your hunt.
Jerry

Possibly the radio your looking at?

http://www.radiomuseum.org/r/western_au_d699.html

What is interesting is the schematic in Nos Air calls for PP 6F6s, while the Radio Museum calls for PP 42s. Electronically they are the same. 

Cabinet is very similar to a Truetone I have with the W.G. OEL 11 tube chassis.  

Right TA, the schematic also lists a 6" speaker but Radio Museum lists an 8". Guessing if Steve has a console, perhaps the larger speaker? Also different output tubes. There may be variations on the schematic I have not researched that would list the 8" and possibly different output tubes.
Jerry

Well if I lived in the Chicago area, I'd already own it. Getting it to California, changes that option. Seller doesn't want to ship. The picture isn't the radio I'm looking at. I believe it's a '36-'37. Still hoping I can get it.

SteveG
Well if I lived in the Chicago area, I'd already own it. Getting it to California, changes that option. Seller doesn't want to ship. The picture isn't the radio I'm looking at. I believe it's a '36-'37. Still hoping I can get it.

I will have a TrueTone D699 for sale.  Have not yet tested but Nevada is closer than Chicago and who doesn't like Vegas so I'm attaching a pix[attachment=8914].

If you want more pictures, tell me of what. I plan to test it this weekend.

Welcome to the Phorum Lisa!!
Icon_wave
Your pic did not show up. Here's some info on adding pics.
http://philcoradio.com/phorum/showthread.php?tid=29

When you decide to sell, the ad would go in the For Sale or Trade section.

(12-23-2015, 12:27 AM)LisaC Wrote:  SteveG

I will have a TrueTone D699 for sale.  Have not yet tested but Nevada is closer than Chicago and who doesn't like Vegas so I'm attaching a pix.

If you want more pictures, tell me of what.  I plan to test it this weekend.

Turned the console on and it plays.  Any idea of the value?

(12-23-2015, 03:12 PM)LisaC Wrote:  
(12-23-2015, 12:27 AM)LisaC Wrote:  SteveG

I will have a TrueTone D699 for sale.  Have not yet tested but Nevada is closer than Chicago and who doesn't like Vegas so I'm attaching a pix.

If you want more pictures, tell me of what.  I plan to test it this weekend.

Turned the console on and it plays.  Any idea of the value?

I can't tell you the value but what I can tell you is that it will be worth a lot less if you turn it on again, a filter capacitor shorts out, and overloads the power transformer. Unless it has at least 8 or more tubes in it most collectors tend to stay away from consoles due to space considerations, this is even more so when it's a private label set. Then there is the condition that needs to be taken into account, like whether it has missing parts, or needs refinishing, has cabinet damage, etc. I don't know what the original poster would consider as a reasonable price for one, you would have to discuss that with him.
Regards
Arran

(06-06-2015, 05:38 PM)SteveG Wrote:  Jerry,
Unfortunately, I'm not good with the electronics part of radios.  Is this a speaker that may have been used on other, more common radios?  I can't imagine there are many Truetone consoles laying around out there... I really like the cabinet and dial on this radio, but the logistics on getting it to California, may be daunting.......Thanks for the help.
Steve

Steve;
  I think that I would probably pass on getting this set, yes you most likely could find an exact replacement speaker for it but between the shipping cost and the seller being unco-operative when it comes to shipping I think that I would hold out for another example. Truetone consoles are not really that uncommon, Western Auto Supply had stores all over the U.S at one time, and the Truetone line of radios and T.Vs were priced as a bargain brand. An 8 tube set is pretty middle of the road in terms of model offerings so there will be others out there. what I find disappointing is that the set has no RF amplifier or extra IF amplifier stage, take away the P-P power output stage and you would have a 5 tube set plus a magic eye. Western Auto stores out in California, and some other Western States, used to sell radios under the Western Air Patrol brand, and those were usually manufactured by Gilfillan in Los Angeles, so you might want to keep your eyes open for one of those too.
Regards
Arran

Steve, sounds like it may be a moot point, but some tips on replacing a speaker:

There are generally two things to match.  One is the impedance driving the audio path, and the other is the resistance of the field coil.

Impedance of the audio path:  transformers are used to achieve this match.  They transform the impedance of the output tubes to the impedance of the voice coil.  Sometimes the transformer was on the chassis, but usually it was mounted on the speaker.  Assuming speaker-mounted, then the transformer is already connected to the voice coil and you don't have to worry about that side of it.  All you have to do is get a speaker that's the same diameter, has an audio transformer, and came from a radio that used the same configuration of audio tubes.  In this case, push-pull 42s or 6F6s.  42s and 6F6s are electrically the same tube (same output impedance), just on different bases (6-pin / octal).  So if it's an 8" speaker, then any 8" speaker that a) has an audio transformer and b) came from a radio running push-pull 42s or 6F6s will be a pretty good match on the audio impedance.

Resistance of field coil:  the speaker's field coil is an electromagnet that creates a magnetic field for the voice coil to push against.  It was also used as part of the power supply, because a coil operates "like a capacitor, but opposite."  For that reason, coils make great components for smoothing out the ripple in an AC-to-DC power supply, in conjunction with capacitors. They can do the smoothing and also create a magnetic field at the same time, no problem.  When matching a field coil, you're generally trying to match the DC resistance of the field coil, specified in ohms.  However, the voltage drop across the coil matters too, because you also care about how heavily wound the coil is.  A 1000 ohm coil with 10 volts across it will be wound to carry a lot less current than a 1000 ohm coil with 400 volts across it.  The latter would have to carry 40 times more current, and would generate a stronger magnetic field.  Those two field coils would likely not be compatible, even though they're both 1000 ohms.  If you can match both the resistance of the field coil and the voltage across it within a few percent, you're golden.

That's the gist of it.  There are more considerations if you can't find a perfect replacement.  Non-perfect replacements may still be usable with adaptations, but there are calculations to be done, regarding how to make up the differences.  Not really worth going into unless you're in that situation. 

I remember looking at the model last year or so.
Two versions: One made by Belmont with oval dial
One made by Detrola with same dial type we see on a D-724 and others.

http://www.radiodaze.com/truetone-d696-d724-727-3950/

Matter of fact the same chassis (147) and same 8" Rola speaker as well.
From what Ive observed the speakers can be found with abit of luck or reconed easily.

The Belmont version will be stamped like this on chassis and have oval dial

http://www.antiqueradios.com/forums/down...p?id=93342

Detrola version will look like this but obviously speaker relocated

http://www.philcoradio.com/phorum/attach...p?aid=8683

Turned the console on and it plays. Any idea of the value?

LisaC,
If you'd like to email me photos and contact info, that'd be great.
Steve