Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Deforest/crosley Project RESTORE!

I wanted to save the original finish on this one but after looking closely and overall inspection there were to many problems with finish. A total refinish will be performed . By looking at photo you cant see the problems that you would see in person so here I go. I gutted the cabinet today and stripped the cabinet . It will look grand once im done with it. There are many different woods on this cabinet and is built solid as a rock like Philco cabinets. Very heavy and thick, that's what I like to work with, the grill cloth will be saved and is thicker than your normal grill cloth. There was very little veneer damage which is great, nothing to lose any sleep over. The radio it self will be getting a total going over for top performance and safety. I will post progress for the next week or so until completed.  Icon_wave   

Attached Files Image(s)

Fred, I don't know how you do it. Finishing is my least favorite part of cabinet work.

Steve

M R Radios   C M Tubes

I enjoy doing that type of work, ive refinished autos for 25+ years and that my friend is getting old fast. Radios are different , I love doing em .

My least favorite part of doing the cabinets is the stripping. Once that part is out of the way, the fun begins
   It's going to look good when you are done, Fred.

Living in Calgary Alberta

Up date on refinishing Deforest / Crosley cabinet. The colors and toners came out just like original , very nice and this is what it would have looked like when bran new. The complete cabinet has been grain filled and inner grill openings have been colored black just like factory , compare the original finish to the new finish, exactly the same. How bout that Icon_clap  This was a high end radio in its day and deserves the best of the best in refinishing Icon_eek

Attached Files Image(s)

(06-09-2015, 06:06 PM)Fred Taylor Wrote:  Up date on refinishing Deforest / Crosley cabinet. The colors and toners came out just like original , very nice and this is what it would have looked like when bran new. The complete cabinet has been grain filled and inner grill openings have been colored black just like factory , compare the original finish to the new finish, exactly the same. How bout that Icon_clap  This was a high end radio in its day and deserves the best of the best in refinishing Icon_eek

Attached Files Image(s)

That is very  good Fred.     Excellent work, it is just like new from the factory... I noticed that you used a scraper on the grill bars.. Do you use  the extra dark walnut on the bars and then scrape the top off to show the veneer?
  There are lots of methods to do these things, but you must share this with us..
    Once again   EXCELLENT JOB 
  Dan in Calgary.

Living in Calgary Alberta

That scrapper is a very important tool I use when refinishing, the kit comes with another handle in which you can change tips , rounded, v pattern . You really should have one to do the best possible job. Yes I scrapped the bars after painting the inner grill . That scrapper can get into very tight areas where you could never get by hand, its a must have. I will take pictures of the box it came in. I bought it at auction some time ago, it never seems to get dull must be made out of titanium, or tungsten steel or something.  

Ever think of refinishing furiture for a living? I know a fella up here who does. Not wealthy, but he is busy and in demand. Up Boston way lots of old stuff to be refinished. Oh yeah, old people to refinish too!

Paul

Tubetalk1

Just finished Deforest / Crosley  today , Its a beautiful radio and sounds very nice , that one will be a keeper for a while.  I am looking for one wooden nob still , the one on right is not correct Icon_think

Attached Files Image(s)

Speechless!

Crist

Wow, beautiful, stunning, Fred!  Great job!

Is that really the original grill cloth from the first picture?  Did you dry clean, or how did you get such a dramatic difference?

Rodney

great job very nice Icon_clap Icon_clap Icon_clap

Some day, and that day may never come, I will call upon you to do a service for me. But until that day, accept this justice as a gift
mafiamen2

(06-11-2015, 12:55 AM)palegreenthumb Wrote:  Wow, beautiful, stunning, Fred!  Great job!

Is that really the original grill cloth from the first picture?  Did you dry clean, or how did you get such a dramatic difference?

Rodney

I did want to save the original but was unable to so there for I replaced with new cloth. I like the pattern, some people probably wont , one can change grill cloth fairly easily so with that in mind, if someone wanted to purchase radio but didn't like the cloth I wood offer to change it out to what ever they wanted. Its like buying a car with wheels that you don't care for, get different wheels. Icon_wtf