Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Removing glued grill cloth??

I am finally getting to my rogers 10-12 and I find that the grill cloth is not attached to a board behind the grill.. It is glued to the grill  [around the edges].  On this radio ,the grill can't be removed. I need to take  off  the grill cloth so I can strip the cabinet.. any suggestions are welcome

Attached Files Image(s)

Living in Calgary Alberta

(06-10-2015, 11:55 PM)Dan Walker Wrote:    I am finally getting to my rogers 10-12 and I find that the grill cloth is not attached to a board behind the grill.. It is glued to the grill  [around the edges].  On this radio ,the grill can't be removed. I need to take  off  the grill cloth so I can strip the cabinet.. any suggestions are welcome

Dan;
  Try some alcohol, lacquer thinner, or acetone, that stuff was probably hide glue so water will soften it too but water may cause the grille to delaminate. Another possibility is to try a heat gun, see if that melts the glue off, or steam, but the steam may make the grill delaminate. I've never seen a grill cloth glued to the inside of a console cabinet, even Rogers console cabinets, though it's common in table sets. Even when they started cheapening sets out in the 1939-42 period with things like an RCA-Victor A-30 the grill cloth was at least glued to some cardboard and the cardboard then tacked or stapled onto the inside of the cabinet.
Regards
Arran

I had the same problem with the Deforest / Crosley that I just posted as finished, wasn't to happy about it . It had been glued and tacks where used. I was pissed I just pulled my off a scrapped the old  hardened glue off with my scraper. The cloth wasn't that good of shape anyway so I replaced  it but this time I glued the new cloth to the speaker board like It should have been because it fits right up against the grill. I have no clue why it was done like that. Much easier to put it on speaker board than getting into cabinet and gluing , you cant see what your doing when your in the cabinet Icon_crazy And then there are other problems like lining the grill cloth up, wrinkles, getting glue where you don't want it. I can n see where one mite have to glue to the grill but in my case using the speaker board worked out wonderful Icon_clap Hay Dan whats the square opening for on the speaker grill area, was that radio modified  to use for puppet show Icon_wtf That is a beautiful radio Dan cant wait to see it when you finish it up

Attached Files Image(s)

I can tell you one thing: don't. It won't survive.
Mask it when doing something. Or say goodbye to it.

PS. Some of that cloth might possibly have synthetic fibers in it so potentially acetone can ruin it. I would not use acetone, or at least test it first in an incospicuous spot.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

Don't use any solvent on it, I would pull very slowly at an angle and hope for the best Icon_think

I've had great luck with white vinegar and water (50/50) loosening up hyde glue.

Thanks for the input.. I will ponder it for a while and try to remove a grill cloth on a different radio for practice..
    Fred,, this radio is a Rogers 10-12  it was rogers 10th anniversary and it has 12 tubes hence , 10-12.
  The chassis and speaker frame are chrome and it is one of the best cabinets that they made.
  The hole in the front is for the clock which you can set to turn the radio on and off. Here are a couple of photos of the radio..Google rogers 10-12  and click on images

Attached Files Image(s)

I tried vinegar and water 50/50 and it worked very well.. I just dabbed it on the grill cloth where the glue was and let it sit for about five minutes.. then  the cloth just peeled off.. Thanks for the tip  Dan in Calgary

Attached Files Image(s)

She's a beauty Dan!

Hay Dan we both learned something new on grill cloth removal. That radio is absolutely magnificent . That my friend is freaking nice Icon_crazy I would love to own one of those and I would put in my will that It be used as my coffin. That thing belongs in the radio museum at my house Icon_shh  maybe we can trade something or just do the right thing and donate it Icon_think . Must see after your done.

(06-11-2015, 08:07 PM)Fred Taylor Wrote:    Hay Dan we both learned something new on grill cloth removal. That radio is absolutely magnificent . That my friend is freaking nice Icon_crazy I would love to own one of those and I would put in my will that It be used as my coffin. That thing belongs in the radio museum at my house Icon_shh  maybe we can trade something or just do the right thing and donate it Icon_think . Must see after your done.

Fred;
  I think that he had another 10-12 but the power supply was missing. However these were fairly complicated sets so he may wish to check over both of the main chassis that he has to see which is in better condition. In the chassis picture he posted I noticed that someone had been messing with it somewhat, there is a six or seven pin old  style socket, probably an Amphenol brand one, where an octal wafer socket should be. That 6F7M you were inquiring about, well this set has two of them, though I don't know why since the triode section in each tube is connected up as a diode, they could have accomplished the same result with a 6B8 and a 6K7.
  Keep your eyes open Fred, those Rogers 10-12s, as well as some of the lesser but equally pretty rolling pin style models do turn up. It seemed to be their dial of choice for the 1935-1938 period, though for 1937-38 they replaced the Celluloid drum with glass plates.
Regards
Arran

Arran,, you are right I do have two  10-12s and only one power supply and one clock.. I have recapped one chassis and it is good now. I have not started on the second chassis.. someone has been in there and messed a few things up.
  On the cabinets' I am leaving one of them  as is with the factory finish. it is not great but not real bad.. I am refinishing the other cabinet.