Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Tone Arm Broke on Majestic 181

The pot metal curse strikes again! Went to play a record on my 181 this afternoon and the tone arm pivot broke off right below where the arm pins onto it. Both the pivot and the pedestal it goes through are made out of pot metal, which has been causing the arm movement to get stiff in spots ever since I bought this unit. I'll just use the radio part until I figure out a way to repair or replace the pot metal parts. That is one thing I like about the little Philco 220 I bought recently, I don't see any major pot metal in it!

No matter where you go, there you are.

I'm trying to visualize it Jayce a picture would help.  One possible solution would be to remove the broken piece and use some JBWeld on it.  The the proper size drill to "ream' out the hole to fit the pin?  It won't cost much to try and not much to lose.  
Jerry

A friend in need is a pest!  Bill Slee ca 1970.

Hate pot metal... it is very hard to work with without messing it up even more. Good luck

Warren, you are absolutely correct, we all hate it. I did a tedious restoration on a FADA and the tuner was frozen as was the tuner drive due to expansion in the bearings. In the process I did break a few pieces but ultimately, it all came back working. Minor pieces, JB worked on what I broke, the break easy! Bearings reamed and the whole tuning section worked just like it should. Fortunate that bearings were the major problem. Enjoyable work for a sick mind! The chassis only took me a little over a year but I work slowly.
Jerry

A friend in need is a pest!  Bill Slee ca 1970.

Sorry for my silence. I will try and get a picture tomorrow. I only had 19 hours at work this week, but the last two days only gave me 8 hours between shifts and I am very tired tonight.

No matter where you go, there you are.