Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

GE S-22 Junior Volume ?

I'm back  for more help!
I have a GE Junior S-22   http://www.nostalgiaair.org/pagesbymodel...040314.pdf   which uses a RCA R-9 chassis and all the info is listed under RCA except when googling GE S-22
I bought this some years back and finally started the restoration. I started it up a couple of days ago and it works and gets a good number of stations. The problem is the volume I get good volume but only in the last few degrees of the pot. 
I measured 4600 to 130 ohms across the total range but I get good volume from 800 to 130 ohms.
I have 24A's in place of the 35's is this the problem?

Thanks Eric

Hey Eric
I took a quick look at the diagram and it sez the volume control should be 3000 ohms. It may be a replacement. How the control works is it varies the cathode voltage on the RF and IF amp tubes. The lower resistance to ground the higher the volume (more RF and IF gain).
24A's and 35/51's are a bit different swapping them may cause your issue. If you have some 35's I'd switch and see if that helps. If not you could add a resistor across the ends of the volume control to lower it's resistance. I'd try something around 5 to 10K

GL
Terry

Hey Terry
The 24A's came with it I don't have any 35's but that may be the problem I'll look into getting some.
 The resis of the pot is 3800 ohms hard to read on the print.
I will for now try and add resistance as you suggest. Just so I understand the resistor is put in parallel with the pot to lower the overall resistance of the pot?
thanks 
Eric

Terry 
put a 5k pot across the vol and I see how it varies the volume, I end up with 700 ohms when I checked it with a meter I probably will get some 35's and go from there.

Sounds good. You won't damage anything by varying that resistance.
have fun with it!
Terry