Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

New addition to the family

I have been posting wanted ads and listing on Craigslist for a long time. I stopped actively looking a while ago but now these things are finding me!

I saw a nice old fan in a shop a while ago and I have a friend who is a big fan collector. I sent him a picture and he said he wanted it. Then out of nowhere he says "I have this old radio and I know you collect them. Do you want it?"

I said yes and he said he will send me a picture that afternoon. I got the picture yesterday and was shocked  Icon_e_surprised
Not only was it a radio but it was a CLOCK RADIO!

Being a good friend he actually brought it to me this morning and he brought along an old RCA 21T TV for me to have fun with!

Here is the new addition to my clock radio Family

A Full size, complete, almost perfect condition, working Majestic Model 15 Grandfather clock radio  Icon_mrgreen Icon_mrgreen

Attached Files Image(s)

Times I have been electrocuted in 2021
As of 1/01/2021
AC: 4 DC: 1
Last year: 6

Had the table version of the set yrs ago. Nice condition!!
The TV is kewl too. No don't want to fix it.

Terry

Very Nice..

Congratulations!  For some reason I've seen two or three of those of those Majestic's missing the chassis.  They are a handsome grandfather clock radio.

Terry is using reverse psychology about that TV..... he secretly wants to restore it for you Icon_wink

John KK4ZLF
Lexington, KY
"illegitimis non carborundum"

Nah, 

It's a good learning experience for me. So many caps in there!!! Never touched a TV before.
Should get to it in about 2 years, Icon_rolleyes

Need a new power cord with the special end for it and the word "super" piece that goes on the front of the TV

Me

Attached Files Image(s)

As of 1/01/2021

Looks like you need a cheater cord
Please let terry work on it 
I can see it now you will work on it and 
it will some how show ex ray of your head
Me me me

Some day, and that day may never come, I will call upon you to do a service for me. But until that day, accept this justice as a gift
mafiamen2

Your Me's are reproducing Sammy Icon_lol

Me

As of 1/01/2021

Funny thing about old tv's after you fix them they have about 2yr burn in time. Meaning that it takes a good year or two to work out all the loose bugs so it will operate reliably.
Some of the RCA set from the mid and late 50's use pcb's that are soldered to the steel chassis. This makes it difficult to get to the back side of the board to resolder the new parts in.

Terry

Nice find on the grandfather clock/radio. Looks great and with a restore will run for years. Terry is correct on them old TVs, a ton of parts to replace, the CRTs will cost more if your's is bad than it is worth. Talk about High Voltages, well let's not, you are young and may survive! After two years if you getting it to work well, well an old TV. I can guarantee you will be trouble shooting in another year but probably just one of the many tubes. Give me an old radio I can enjoy through a transmitter and will last a long time. Give me a large flat screen that I can enjoy until it dies and replace it. I suppose there is some magic in watching and old classic program on an old black and white TV.
Best, Jerry

A friend in need is a pest!  Bill Slee ca 1970.

Kirk;
  I guess when you said that the Majestic was working you meant the electric clock portion and not the radio chassis? From what I can see of the model 15 chassis it's missing a five pin tube and has been for some time if the dirt is a good indication. To me it looks like maybe that was where a #47 used to live. One thing to be aware of in those old Majestics is lots of rock hard and crumbly rubber/gutta percha wiring, then you have BED code resistors, the dogbone shaped ones, candohm resistors, as well as the usual bad paper caps.
  With regards to the TV, that may not be as bad as everyone thinks if the picture tube has some life left, even if its on it's last legs it's still only a dead common 21'' black and white rectangular job which they literally made by the millions. Depending on the year the circuit boards may not be that hard to work on, some of the earlier sets had the foil side exposed. What you have to be careful with is not to overheat the solder joints whilst you are removing the old caps, RCA sets are better then some but you can still make the foil traces lift if you are careless.
Regards
Arran

come guys you know he`s accident prone don`t encourage him Icon_neutral
minions minions

Some day, and that day may never come, I will call upon you to do a service for me. But until that day, accept this justice as a gift
mafiamen2

Yes the clock works in the Majestic.
Do I need special caps for the TV if they are on the circut board?

I will be careful but again, I will not get to it for a loooooong time.

Kirk Kirk Kirk KirkKirk KirkKirk KirkKirk KirkKirk KirkKirk KirkKirk KirkKirk KirkKirk KirkKirk KirkKirk KirkKirk Kirk Icon_mrgreen

As of 1/01/2021

Nah Just need ones with a wire coming out of each end. Some may have higher voltage rating than what you may have on hand.

Terry

Kirk, nice addition to your collection. That clock radio is in great condition!

Nice clock radio Kirk. But like other radios they are addictive!
                   Good luck .
                           Henry