Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Quick Capacitor Question

Hello, everyone.

I need to replace a 60uf capacitor and am wondering if it's okay to use a 100uf or would it be better to run two 33uf caps in parallel? I have both on hand and it's for a multi-section can.

Dave

dave
two 33`s will work if they fit
100 will be ok just over kill

Some day, and that day may never come, I will call upon you to do a service for me. But until that day, accept this justice as a gift
mafiamen2

Thanks, Sam.

I think I might go with the 100uf then. Although I could probably stick them under the chassis, it would be tight and messy and restuffing cans isn't hard.

Dave

It depends where the cap is used. In most cases it is OK. In some it is not.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

Here's a pic. Hopefully, it's clear. This particular can is in line with the 6CA4 rectifier.

Attached Files Image(s)

It's C1-B by the way.

It's 40, from what I read. But size won't matter in that location, except to improve the filtering a bit.

It's a 40uf and 60uf multi-section can. I'll replace that 60 with a 100uf to keep things looking neat.

Thanks, all, for the help.

Dave

Keep in mind that the 40uf is on one side of the resistor R36 and 60uf on the other. if you use one 100uf cap I don't see how you will be able to seperate it to each side.

If C1B, yes you could use a larger value.
But something doesn't jibe in you expkanation about values.
Can you in simple language say: Ok, this C1A is this value, C1B is this, I am changing this cap for this value etc.
Sch does not show 60uF so you saying BTW it is a dual 40-60 cap does not really help explaining anything.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

Forgive me for not simply stating it. The parts list for the C1 multi-section capacitor calls for a 40uf cap for C1A and a 60uf cap for C1B. I did not notice previously that the schematic shows C1B as 40uf. For anyone who did not understand my question, simply stated, is it possible to replace C1B 60uf with a 100uf? Before I move forward, however, I will visually check C1 multi-section capacitor to determine the correct value of C1B.

Yes it is possible. In this particular case (within reason) the more the better.

Great. Thanks to to all of you for your help.