Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Auction buys at Sargents

Picked up some great stuff at bargain prices, very small highboy lyric radio has a Wurlitzer metal tag on back and does work, Ge chairside that will be beautiful when finished and plays ,good sound 55$, unknown Magnavox speaker in very small highboy cabinet 7.50$, RCA radiola 60 works, 55$  . All the stuff sold went for below what it should have Icon_eek some of the stuff didn't sell ,and some people took out the guts and where putting cabinets in dumpster ,what a shame Icon_sad

Attached Files Image(s)

Yeah, I thought that stuff would go low at the auction. I managed to pick up a Philco 66, RCA118, and a Philco 630B parts radio. I got a signal tracer kit and a O'scope too. All pretty cheap.

Crist

That has become a major trend at auctions it seems like. That's one reason why Estes now seems to refuse to take any consoles to sell. People only bid up to $20, gut the cabinets, and then leave those to the auction place to dispose of. Just what are people doing with all these homeless parts they are making?

No matter where you go, there you are.

(07-12-2015, 06:46 PM)Jayce Wrote:  That has become a major trend at auctions it seems like. That's one reason why Estes now seems to refuse to take any consoles to sell. People only bid up to $20, gut the cabinets, and then leave those to the auction place to dispose of. Just what are people doing with all these homeless parts they are making?

This is why the auction houses should make a point of locking their dumpsters, or puting people who do such things on the banned list since it costs the auction house money. It's rather odd in that there was someone on Vancouver craigslist who was giving away the chassis and phonograph parts from a post war radio-phono combo unit as they were repurposing the cabinet, the chassis did have rust so the cabinet probably wasn't much better. But to be fair there are sets where the cabinets are just not worth saving, or the chassis themselves are little more then spare parts, but why people can't take it home first to part it out I have no idea. One thing's for sure, I haven't noticed many more spare parts turning up on fleabay so I too wonder what they are doing with them.
Regards
Arran

I guess it doesn't matter what condition its in, people are just butchering radios around here. The only ones being sold and saved up at Estes are fully restored and working units. Estes used to take in project sets, but they too had to be in good shape condition-wise. At least Frederick here scored some nice units. I love that little Lyric console. Icon_smile

No matter where you go, there you are.

My bud Henry Harmony, a Great American, got a Weston VTVM in a nice wooden cabinet for me from this auction. 

Here are some of the items he got there.

(07-13-2015, 01:06 PM)TA Forbes Wrote:  My bud Henry Harmony, a Great American, got a Weston VTVM in a nice wooden cabinet for me from this auction. 

Here are some of the items he got there.

Tom;
  If that is indicative of the general condition of things at that auction, which it was judging by the pre auction photos that Fred posted a few weeks ago, then I can understand the low bids or no bids that some of this stuff got. When you run into things like cabinet damage, no knobs, loose parts, missing speakers, obvious hack jobs, and unfinished projects, the ALAsP principle really comes into play, especially when you can't inspect and really go over things like you can in a private sale.
Regards
Arran

That 5S29 on the top right is one that I would like to get , even if it needs repair on the cabinet.
they are nice radios.
On some of those radios the grill cloth is wekll worth the price of the radio, at least up here in aAberta.

Living in Calgary Alberta

Henry has a good stash of parts. All of these sets are workers, but he will have them shipshape directly!

Fred, Chris...........

If you go to another auction tell Jim hello from Boston.

Paul

Tubetalk1

(07-13-2015, 08:11 PM)Paul Philco322 Wrote:  Fred, Chris...........

Paul

Will do!

Crist

(07-13-2015, 08:11 PM)Paul Philco322 Wrote:  Fred, Chris...........

Paul

Hay Paul just seen Jim Sargent today at the shop, he gave 5 radios to refinish and there may be more on the way and a fellow radio collector from up north  is sending me a rare zenith 829 tombstone to refinish also Icon_clap Icon_clap Icon_clap Icon_clap so that will keep me busy for a while and I will say hello for you to Jim

(07-12-2015, 11:43 PM)Arran Wrote:  
(07-12-2015, 06:46 PM)Jayce Wrote:  That has become a major trend at auctions it seems like. That's one reason why Estes now seems to refuse to take any consoles to sell. People only bid up to $20, gut the cabinets, and then leave those to the auction place to dispose of. Just what are people doing with all these homeless parts they are making?

This is why the auction houses should make a point of locking their dumpsters, or puting people who do such things on the banned list since it costs the auction house money. It's rather odd in that there was someone on Vancouver craigslist who was giving away the chassis and phonograph parts from a post war radio-phono combo unit as they were repurposing the cabinet, the chassis did have rust so the cabinet probably wasn't much better. But to be fair there are sets where the cabinets are just not worth saving, or the chassis themselves are little more then spare parts, but why people can't take it home first to part it out I have no idea. One thing's for sure, I haven't noticed many more spare parts turning up on fleabay so I too wonder what they are doing with them.
Regards
Arran
That's pretty bad when you go there to purchase antique radios and they have to lock the dumpster, is anybody
 L Icon_eek Icon_eek ing? Icon_think Icon_think Icon_think Icon_think Icon_think Icon_think Icon_think Icon_think

(07-13-2015, 07:39 PM)TA Forbes Wrote:  Henry has a good stash of parts. All of these sets are workers, but he will have them shipshape directly!

Old Henry has the biggest antique radio  parts dept in the southwest, if doesn't have it nobody does.