Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

1929 magnavox speaker restore

This speaker cabinet that nobody seemed to care for fell in my hands Saturday, a little voice in my head said (get it) (get it ) and boy sure am glad I did. This is a blast from the past is a rare or very seldom seen Arisacat speaker from Magnavox, some say that's is original color scheme that was popular in the late twenties but no proof of that. I didn't care for the color but what lay beneath is beautiful mahogany , booked matched in all. I don't have a radio to complement the speaker but that could change, I did pick up a radiola 60 that mite work? This mag speaker has a separate out put trans former that's plugs into wall and the other wires go to radio. Don't know much about those but Dick Morgan will help me out there in that dept. Wanted to show you guys the  restoration progress

Attached Files Image(s)

A few more pictures

Attached Files Image(s)

Wow ! Very nice find ! I like the pictures. Do keep us informed about your progress, and best of luck.

That's neat! Basically it was a way to add an EM speaker to an earlier radio that only took a PM speaker. Basically, the field is powered off the AC. Some late 20's consoles worked that way as well. I had a Lyric console that the speaker simply plugged into an AC outlet on the chassis. My Zenith 34P works in the same basic way. Looks like Magnavox was trying to do the same as RCA did with their one speaker model.

No matter where you go, there you are.

Speaker is almost done, the cabinet is finished and looks great. This will make a great addition to my collection, the rca  radiola 60 will be next on my list after I get going on a rare zenith 829 tombstone cabinet for a customer, the speaker cone needed a outer edge ring. The old ring was made out of leather but was dry rotted. I replaced with some felt and that should do the trick according to Dick. Also replaced power cord and speaker cord that also has a on/off switch. Tomorrow will power it up and check for any problems

Attached Files Image(s)

That is just awesome, fine work and niiiiicccce wood. How much does that speaker weigh?

Paul

Tubetalk1

(07-16-2015, 07:45 PM)Paul Philco322 Wrote:  That is just awesome, fine work and niiiiicccce wood. How much does that speaker weigh?

Paul

Hello Paul, I guess it weighs about 20 lbs or so not to bad, ya about 20, feels like a bag of kingsford Icon_wave

Speaker is now complete and in working order, nice find very unusual setup Icon_eek  

Attached Files Image(s)

Very,Very nice job! Looks brand new.I bet it belts out music. Nice Job!  Icon_thumbup  Icon_wave