Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Crosley 127 Tenstrike

Is a Crosley 127 Tenstrike tombstone radio a good one? I've seen on this forum that some people are not enamored over Crosley's. I've been offered one and might be able to get it for under $100.....any help is always appreciated!

I like Crosleys just fine. Much would depend on the condition of the radio. For $100 I would expect the cabinet to be in near perfect condition, no missing veneer or breaks. Little scratches and nicks are OK. The chassis should be complete and unmolested as far as you can see, and the speaker or speakers in good condition. If any of these are not that great, a lesser price would be more like it, IMHO.

Mike,
Thanks. I wondered that since it was a 10 tube tombstone, it might be a desirable one. My preference is for Philcos from about 1932-42, but I do have a few other brand X in that same era.
Steve

With my limited experience with Crosleys (not Deforest Crosleys) is that they are usually decent performers for a budget brand. So my guess is that the ten tube one, depending on what the tubes are actually used for, should be no exception. From what I can tell by looking up the tube lineup is that the set has a push-pull power output stage with duel #47 tubes, it also has two IF amplifier stages and a tuned RF amplifier stage, so it should be a decent set. One thing I did notice is like many Crosleys the cabinet construction is somewhat on the cheap side, but at least it isn't ugly. The disparaging remarks may have been about a specific series of Crosley models, more then likely the AC sets they built in the late 1920s and early 30s that were notorious for having bad pot metal in the tuning condenser.
Regards
Arran

This thread has got me thinking about my own buying habits with radios. I have to admit, I am cheap. I won't pay the kind of high prices I see many sets advertised for on eBay. Often the shipping for these sets is between $30 and $40 dollars, on top of the sale price, so that also must be considered when buying. Sadly, here in the RI area, we don't have much in the way of antique radio swap meets. Anyway, I think back to when I started collecting in the 1960s. People often gave me old radios they no longer wanted. Others I bought for $5 to $20, depending on their condition. Even today, unless the radio is in particularly restorable condition, I won't pay more than $50 to $60. With shipping that takes the price to $80 to $100; and, when I consider the cost of parts to restore it, I can't really bring myself to pay more. Like I said, I admit I am cheap.

I don't mind paying for good things, but with radios, since I don't do the electronics myself, it's very easy to get in over your head when you have to pay someone else to do that part. I should discipline myself to only buy radios that have been done, but then you loose the thrill of the find.

I bought my first old radio, a '42 Philco console, in about 1972 for $5 and it worked beautifully (after all, it was only 30 years old then!) and years after that when I collected a few more, I had a local guy who was very reasonable do the chassis work. When he passed away 20 years ago, I lost that connnection....

Since radios aren't my only hobby, I have to be careful not to overpopulate the collection, but that's easier said than done....

(08-04-2015, 07:31 PM)SteveG Wrote:  I don't mind paying for good things, but with radios, since I don't do the electronics myself, it's very easy to get in over your head when you have to pay someone else to do that part.  I should discipline myself to only buy radios that have been done, but then you loose the thrill of the find.  

I bought my first old radio, a '42 Philco console, in about 1972 for $5 and it worked beautifully (after all, it was only 30 years old then!) and years after that when I collected a few more, I had a local guy who was very reasonable do the chassis work.  When he passed away 20 years ago, I lost that connnection....

Since radios aren't my only hobby, I have to be careful not to overpopulate the collection, but that's easier said than done....

Then again you could learn how to restore the electronics yourself, the most important parts are learning how to solder and desolder, and how to use a volt ohm meter to check components and voltages, it's really just a matter of practice. You don't really have to understand much theory, or get into too much troubleshooting, most of the time these sest are so old and floggged out that all the capacitors, most of the resistors, and in some cases the wiring needs to be replaced. But in this case I would not recommend the Crosley 127 for a first project, ten tubers are a challenge even for well seasoned restorers sometimes.
Regards
Arran

Steve like Arran mentioned you might try to learn yourself to do the electrical work.
Maybe find a cheap 5or6 tube radio and give it a go. But I got to warn you if you do it and it plays when your done you will probably be looking for another one to do. To me its a great feeling when you first power up after reworking the chassis and hear the audio coming through. Good luck.

I was into the early '30s Crosleys for a period of time. The model 127 is a pretty good radio when right. Receives well and with the big speaker and pp 47s it sounds good. The tuning meter can be cranky. 

You may have to look around for a good readable schematic for the 127. The ones in NA are not good quality. 

Make sure you have the right tubes in the right place for your specific 127, as there were two variants of it. A 24 tube placed where a 35 tube should be, and vice versa,  can make your set inoperative.

Re cap all the wax paper caps and the electrolytics, especially the two in a cardboard box under the chassis. Also measure every resistor and replace any out of tolerance. With a Crosley that will be most of them. 

Expect weird issues with the radio. Crosley sets were made to be affordable. Read cheap parts that were not designed to still be in use 80 years later. 

The 127 is a large and impressive looking set. Good luck.