Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Another RCA done

I bought this radio  about a week ago. I must be getting better because now it is all done. I recapped it and did the cabinet. It is a RCA model C8 16. Tonight I had it in my garage and it picks up all sorts of short wave with an antenna across the attic of the garage.

Attached Files Image(s)

Living in Calgary Alberta

a week?
Crazy man, Icon_lol

Kirk

Times I have been electrocuted in 2021
As of 1/01/2021
AC: 4 DC: 1
Last year: 6

Wow! That looks great! Icon_thumbup  What was needed to be done to the cabinet?

Eric
Lake in the Hills, IL
Member: Philco Phorum, ARF, ARCI & Radiomuseum.org

dan
really nice Icon_clap Icon_clap Icon_thumbup
off the sides of speaker cut out is that a designed in wood or natural 
can we see close up of sides
sam

Some day, and that day may never come, I will call upon you to do a service for me. But until that day, accept this justice as a gift
mafiamen2

Very nice!  Icon_thumbup

I had a 8T14 tombstone. RCAs from this period are super players and receivers. 

RCA would over-drive the output side of these sets with higher than usual plate V. You want to have a strong tube there. 

I checked all the tubes and ,they are all very good.
 as far as the cabinet is concerned , I had to strip it , and that was not too hard  because there was not much on a finish put on by whoever did it. Once it was stripped I gave it a coat of dark walnut stain. [I use that a lot]
next I used a sealer of one part shellac and 5 parts methyl hydrate.  I masked it off and used Mohawk, Vandyke brown for the trim,  and Extra dark walnut for the bottom.
Then I used a clear lacquer satin. I put three coats of that on. between each coat I used 4000 grit[if you can call that a GRIT] between coats.. Just enough to take away any small bumps. and for the final coats I used high gloss.
  The reason I used high gloss is that the radio has been bought by some friends of mine that are going to raffle
it off at their car show.. Most of the public seems to like that shiny look.
  I had to reverse the grill cloth ;it is backwards but it looks better that way
   That wood on the sides is all original with matched wood on both sides. Back then there was pride in making something, and that is one of the reasons I like these old radios.
 Here are the photos you requested.. One is a before picture
 Glad you like it

Attached Files Image(s)

Living in Calgary Alberta

Wow  Dan, Shes a beauty! I love the swirls of the wood grain on the cabinet. It gives it charm! You do not see that craftmanship in the woodworking of today. And you did it all in a week....Beautiful job. Enjoy your set.   Icon_thumbup Icon_thumbup Icon_thumbup

Beautiful radio. Great job on the cabinet.

Gorgeous. Love the veneer and the whole look.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.