Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Would You touch this wi th a ten' pole?? I need my head examined!!!

I must be possessed!!!
What it is a is a variant of the National HRO Jr called a RAS. Built for the Navy just before WWII. Was use to monitor low frequency ship communication. The Navy wanted a set that could tune continuously from 190kc- 500kc. The HRO couldn't as it has an IF frequency of 456kc. The RAS uses a 175kc kc. The coil packs are NOT interchangeable with the HRO because of the different IF. They do look the same and cover from 195kc to 30mc without any bandspread options.

I can tell It's Navy cause it looks like it's spent most of it's life under water. It's pretty rusty. Under the chassis seems to have some rodent damage as most of the paper caps have the paper labels chewed off of them.
In it's oringinal form it was made to mount into a 4' desk top open rack. It does have it's spkr, 110v power supply and coil box(storage)

Not sure whearter I'll fix the reciver it's a rusty mess. But the price was right (almost free). At minimum I'll fix up the p/s,spkr, and coil box to use with one of the HRO seniors.

It will keep me busy for a while...

Terry

Attached Files Image(s)

terry
you like to push the limits don`t you Icon_think
least the chassis looks good
lot of sanding to do but you can do it
but what are you expecting to pick up on it Icon_question
using as speaker box na you`ll fix Icon_thumbup
sam

Some day, and that day may never come, I will call upon you to do a service for me. But until that day, accept this justice as a gift
mafiamen2

>least the chassis looks good
R U kidding!!!!
I was having trouble resizing the pic to fit for the previous post.
The caps on the right of the chassis looks like they where someones lunch.
And they didn't aggree with their stomach.
Going on a short road trip to go get it in MD.

Terry

Attached Files Image(s)

well ya didn`t show bottom first time still not bad little naval jelly will work Icon_thumbup
are they all electrolytic or just paper caps
sam

Some day, and that day may never come, I will call upon you to do a service for me. But until that day, accept this justice as a gift
mafiamen2

1 more pic.

Attached Files Image(s)

I think there is two small electrolytic caps. Their cathode bypass. The main ones are in the power supply That's the narrow unit with the rectangular hole in the front. The "paper caps"  look to have a metal casing under the paper label. Most are .1@600v.      
Terry

Here's some encouragement.

http://home.comcast.net/~k7rld/RAS-5.html

Does it come with the rack?  If not, you could make one pretty easily.  The rack with my HRO-M is two pieces of steel angle stock with a series of tapped holes drilled every inch or so to make up the vertical portions.  Another piece of angle stock goes across the bottom (and there probably was one along the top but mine has been cut down).  Then there are two lengths of flat steel stock that protrude toward the back on the bottom to provide stability.

Sean
WØKPX

Yes you are loco and I would touch it with a 10 foot pole.

Me

Times I have been electrocuted in 2021
As of 1/01/2021
AC: 4 DC: 1
Last year: 6

Just got back home with it but too tired to look at it, it scares me.

Sean, Something else follow me home a Hallcrafters S-11. It's as bad as the RAS or worst. My friend sez all fixed up it could bring $300 or so but it would take a total tear down to make this beast right. When I get a chance I'll give it the once over to see if the transformers are OK and go from there. It has all of it's knobs and pointers. Surprise that it uses P/P 6L6's in the audio output, pretty strapping tubes!

So Kirk do you know who use to say "I wouldn't touch that line with a ten foot pole"??

Terry

Terry, How do you get all these to follow you home?

I cannot find anything like this around here.. And we are not that far apart..

You have your work cut out for you ..That's for sure.. Good luck..

Skip...

Hi Skip,
Just lucky (NOT)I guess! Or as Frankie Remley would say" I know a guy..."
This stuff came from Maryland, a friend of mine and myself where going to make a road trip of it but he had to bail at the last minute. So I made the trip down came back to friends house up in Yardely downloaded a few things and then home. Oh did I mention I had doc appt in Flemington NJ at 9:30am? I think I got back around 8pm.

One other thing that follow me home was a "E" coil pack for my HRO. They are pretty hard to come across and tune from 900kc to 2.0mc (upper part of the BC band though 160m). So now I have a full set covering 500kc to 30mc. That was from up here (a swap for a "D" coil).

If I get the RAS running it covers 190kc-30mc and it came with all of it coils, such as they are.

Sean, I saw that project eeck! At least mine doesn't smell. I don't think. Probably all the rain water wash it away. I'm alittle surprised that he mounted the p/s under the rx. Doesn't seem like a good idea. As for the rack it did have the two uprights but no top or base.

Terry

If you can restore the S-11 (sure it isn't an SX-11?, does it have the crystal?)  it should be a sweet set.  I bought an SX-10 Ultra Skyrider a couple of years ago from another collector.  He let it go because he had an SX-11 that he liked better.  That Ultra was the beginning of my boatanchor collection.  Followed by an SX-25 Super Defiant, an RCA AR-88, 2 SP-600s, a Scott SLR-12B, National HRO-M, Hammarlund BC-794, and an SX-16 I picked up last month.

Sean
WØKPX

Ok Sean this might hurt your eyes!!!
It looks to be pretty complete - the bottom plate, thumb screws for the front panel,and xtal for the filter. It's got a h**l of a lot rust!!!!

Terry

Attached Files Image(s)

Icon_eek Are you crazy that looks
Like it was in bottom of ocean
Need lots of naval jelly
Why not try Arron's way
Electrocute it

mafiamen2

I think that is one that you would have to completely strip the chassis of all parts and go through a rust removal process of some sort followed by painting the chassis.  It is complete and doesn't look like it has been hacked on.  The crystal may be a little tough to find but you don't need it to get it operating.  A 465kc crystal might be a little easier to find than the 1600kc one for my SX-10.  In fact there is a Bliley crystal on ebay that should be exactly what was used in your set.  Mine has a Bliley in the same case.

Sean
WØKPX