Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Well my ADD side kicked in and I could keep my mitts off of that dirty rusty mess. See http://philcoradio.com/phorum/showthread.php?tid=12869 The plus to it is that it is pretty modular so I can work on small bit at a time. Thought the spkr panel would a simple start and I can use it with the HRO which is winding down.
Broke out the gojo and gave the wrinkle a good scrub. Cleaned up better than I expected with about 90 percent of the original paint entacked. That's the good part. I checked out the wiring to find that it needed some help. The pins that plug into the back of the receiver kinda loose and been spliced. I started the pull in apart and thought again that maybe I should give the spkr a try just for the heck of it. Well just for the heck I measured the primary resistance of the output transformer which mounts to that panel and I bet  you can't guess what I found? OPEN!!! Did a little digging and found a suitable replacement. Meanwhile back at the ranch I removed the spkr from the panel to find several interesting things. The trim ring and grille cloth are copper painted black. I guess the Navy didn't fool around no rust there. The spkr has a removable magnet/pole. This is important as the cone movement is very rough. So next step is to remove the magnet give it a good cleaning to see if the free it up if so I can clean up the basket and paint it that way I won't get any bits of metal or rust back on the magnet/pole with it off.
More later

Terry

Terry

next thing we know you will go in the business of cleaning septic tanks.....this stuff is addictive Icon_lol

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

Got the magnet off finally. Twisted the tips on two large screw drivers to do it. Boy those bolts where tight. Been on there since 1-40. Inside it was dirty and gritty. Vacuum it out and then used a card to clean out the gap between the pole and magnet. Set the magnet over the voice coil and loosely bolted it. Tried to get it to move freely but no dice so will try the brute force method. That would be adding a few watts of audio to the VC and moving the magnet for best sound. Will get to it tomorrow.

Terry

GRRRRR!!!!
After finishing up the HRO I thought it might fun to give the power supply from the RAS a try. Simple design with 4X 4mfd@600V. Two are wired together to equal 2X 8MFD on each side of the filter choke. They are paper caps.
The power plug is wired the same for both sets the RAS and HRO so it a plug n play affair. Plugged it all in and gave it a try. Everything looks good voltage is at 230vdc(dead on) but there is a strange tingle I get when I touch the p/s chassis. Hmmmm. Both filaments and B- on the p/s are not grounded to the p/s chassis, all is floating. As I was tuning around on the HRO there was a LOT of line noise. Connected the two chassis together and the noise cleared up. All this took abut 15mins. Then I noticed the smell of hot wax and I wasn't doing my legs!!! Shut her down felt the power transformer and bet you can't guess? Hotter than h**l. Filters seem OK,measured the current and It would jump up when they where charging and drop down to nothing as they should. Methinks the transformer is shorted.
For those keeping score that's 2 and 0. The output was open. I think I'm going to check the IF cans be fore I put a lot time in the thing. I'm hoping the SX11 doesn't have the same fate.

Terry N3GTE

NUTZZZZ!!!
After further troubleshooting I confirmed the transformer is shorted. HV is fine but the heater winding is the culprit. Under load heater voltage is unstable from 4.5-6.0vac Off to the shed to see what I can replace it with.

Terry N3GTE
Photo 

Great he'll get lost in their for days  Icon_crazy

Some day, and that day may never come, I will call upon you to do a service for me. But until that day, accept this justice as a gift
mafiamen2

Sam ,
 I get lost in my tinkletorium for dayz!!!
Where is that Alzheimer meeting????

Terry

Well a friend of mine had a free RAS p/s so I picked it up. Now I know why it was free. A bit of a disaster inside BUT yielded a good transformer. So it got remounted and wired up to replace the first one. Works swell ! Now I'll have to see if I want to put a replacement transformer in the 2nd one or what.
Haven't done anything with the RAS rx just using the p/s on the HRO

Terry