Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Technical Question

If you take three pieces of 22Ga wire and twist them together what Ga do you end up with???

Terry

It is like tieing in 2 caps in parallel. You will have a braided 44 gauge wire. Not as strong as a solid gauge but will work.

Did that sound good? Icon_lol

I have no idea! but I think that would be the answer. I will try googling it.

Me

Times I have been electrocuted in 2021
As of 1/01/2021
AC: 4 DC: 1
Last year: 6

Nope,
All I get is how to tie fishing line to lures, Icon_lol

As of 1/01/2021

Doubling crossection decreases AWG by 3. Doubling diam decreases it by 6.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

So I'm at about 14G. I was hoping it would be a bit heavier.

Post from Poor Poor little HRO

>Order came in today from Radiodazes. Some needed caps, rubber feet,and power cord. All of the pre war HRO's use a separate power supply. The earliest ones came with 2.5vac tubes. The reason I mention this is that the 2.5v tubes haul down A Lot of current. Set has nine tubes which equals about 11 amps of heater current. Meaning that the power cord has to be rather robust to handle the current. The OEM National power supply used a power transformer that has a 3vac winding to compensate for the voltage drop though the 4' cord.

The problem is it is difficult to find these days a cloth covered cable four conductor with two 20ga wire and two conductors that are 14  or 12ga to minimize the volt drop. After consulting with Henry over at Radio Boulevard
(Wonderful site for early SW radios) He's used 8 conductor cloth cover battery radio cable by tying 3 of the conductors together for each leg of the heater leads. Great idea.  

Tnx Mike it always good to have rocket scientist to consult with.

Terry 

What am I? chopped liver?

Icon_sad

As of 1/01/2021

Oh pardon, It should have been 66G wire 3x22. Great for winding IF transformers.

Terry

Kirk

You are hereby promoted from chopped liver to half sour pickle! Icon_lol

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.