Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Zenith 10s130 restore

Hello folks, I have been in hiding and working on a uncommon zenith 10s130 tombstone for myself. This is a great looking radio and I must say it needed more work than I thought. I purchased it a few weeks ago with the thought of restoring it and reselling on eBay with a (Buy it now or best offer) to see if I could make a paycheck for the week. It's al most finished and just may keep it and try and sell something else, I really love this radio. I had sold 4 radios last week on eBay and was disappointed on the results so next time it will be listed as Buy it now or best offer. I have been working on other radio cabinets for our club members and just finished a few for the walk in customers at shop and thru the other radio forum, also Jim Sargent gave me 4 radio cabinets to restore which also are done , and 4 others that will be given away a this up coming radio convention  so it is picking up a bit for me but still not enough to live on and still looking for full time job.

Attached Files Image(s)

More pictures

Attached Files Image(s)

Pretty rough shape

Attached Files Image(s)

(08-22-2015, 08:38 AM)Frederick W. Taylor Wrote:  Hello folks, I have been in hiding and working on a uncommon zenith 10s130 tombstone for myself. This is a great looking radio and I must say it needed more work than I thought. I purchased it a few weeks ago with the thought of restoring it and reselling on eBay with a (Buy it now or best offer) to see if I could make a paycheck for the week. It's al most finished and just may keep it and try and sell something else, I really love this radio. I had sold 4 radios last week on eBay and was disappointed on the results so next time it will be listed as Buy it now or best offer. I have been working on other radio cabinets for our club members and just finished a few for the walk in customers at shop and thru the other radio forum, also Jim Sargent gave me 4 radio cabinets to restore which also are done , and 4 others that will be given away a this up coming radio convention  so it is picking up a bit for me but still not enough to live on and still looking for full time job.

Wow Fred,
Beautiful work.
Wish you were closer.
Have an RCA 281 I'm working on.
Could imagine what you could do with that one.
murf

Gosh Fred

If you ever make it down to SW Florida, I have the competitor radio to yours, a Philco 37-670 Tombstone that i would love to have you do the cabinet on.

Sincerely

Keith Jansen

That is absolutely gorgeous Fred Icon_thumbup Icon_thumbup Icon_thumbup

John KK4ZLF
Lexington, KY
"illegitimis non carborundum"

(08-22-2015, 10:57 AM)kj0002 Wrote:  Gosh Fred

If you ever make it down to SW Florida, I have the competitor radio to yours, a Philco 37-670 Tombstone that i would love to have you do the cabinet on.

Sincerely

Keith Jansen

Sure, if your willing to ship cabinet we can do it that way, take about 2 weeks before you get it back.

(08-22-2015, 09:31 AM)murf Wrote:  
(08-22-2015, 08:38 AM)Frederick W. Taylor Wrote:  Hello folks, I have been in hiding and working on a uncommon zenith 10s130 tombstone for myself. This is a great looking radio and I must say it needed more work than I thought. I purchased it a few weeks ago with the thought of restoring it and reselling on eBay with a (Buy it now or best offer) to see if I could make a paycheck for the week. It's al most finished and just may keep it and try and sell something else, I really love this radio. I had sold 4 radios last week on eBay and was disappointed on the results so next time it will be listed as Buy it now or best offer. I have been working on other radio cabinets for our club members and just finished a few for the walk in customers at shop and thru the other radio forum, also Jim Sargent gave me 4 radio cabinets to restore which also are done , and 4 others that will be given away a this up coming radio convention  so it is picking up a bit for me but still not enough to live on and still looking for full time job.

Wow Fred,
Beautiful work.
Wish you were closer.
murf

Hello Murf, I can still do it if you send cabinet only, doesn't cost much being not that heavy, can refinish with about 2 week tune around. I have a number of cabinets that way with no problems, just pack it good.

(08-22-2015, 12:53 PM)Frederick W. Taylor Wrote:  

Wow Fred,
I can imagin the cost to have a pro finish it
Beautiful work.
Wish you were closer.
murf

Hello Murf, I can still do it if you send cabinet only, doesn't cost much being not that heavy, can refinish with about 2 week tune around. I have a number of cabinets that way with no problems, just pack it good.
Hi Fred,
Much as I would like to, the cabinet is very large and would cost a fortune to ship both ways.
Have it stripped and am doing a little sanding.
Can imagine the cost to have a pro finish it would be more than the radio is worth.
Will keep you in mind though if  need help on a tombstone.
murf
I have it stripped and am touching up with some sandpaper.

(08-23-2015, 08:53 AM)murf Wrote:  
(08-22-2015, 12:53 PM)Frederick W. Taylor Wrote:  

Wow Fred,
I can imagin the cost to have a pro finish it
Beautiful work.
Wish you were closer.
murf

Hi Fred,
Much as I would like to, the cabinet is very large and would cost a fortune to ship both ways.
Have it stripped and am doing a little sanding.
Can imagine the cost to have a pro finish it would be more than the radio is worth.
Will keep you in mind though if  need help on a tombstone.
murf
I have it stripped and am touching up with some sandpaper.
Hay Murf, for some reason the i thought RCA 281 was a tombstone, my mistake and would not expect anyone to ship that console cabinet. I own one of those Murf, it is a biggin Icon_eek Heres a few pictures of my 281

Attached Files Image(s)

Excellent work on the Zenith table set! I love the look of the Zenith tombstones of this era. One of the radios on my current wanted list is a Zenith 6-S-229.

Slave to an RCA Victor CTC-25

Finally finished my zenith, although I am waiting for a speaker label that radio daze is going make for me . It sure looks nice and plays loud  and clear even on shortwave, I had a station on earlier that sounded like from Japan, Shortwave antenna i installed on roof of house and  wired down into museum on a wall terminal. Recapped and few new resistors and some new wires and several new tubes. I have about 35 hours in it all together. I am going to put it on Ebay at , (buy it now) or best offer. If I can recoup money spent buying radio $850 ,  labor (39 hours) and new parts ( $125) I will let it go even though I don't want to. I'm still out of work and need a paycheck.

Attached Files Image(s)

Beautiful work Fred. I'm becoming hesitant to show my cabinet after seeing some of the work shown on here lately.
Good luck on your sale.

You need to show your work, we are here to help any body and pictures helps us help you or anybody else but pointing out things that may need tweaking. I have been doing radio cabinets for long time and I still learn new things. They don't always come out perfect , that's also depends on much time are you willing to spend on any one thing. Some times its over kill, or the other way.  I have a few of my own radio cabinets that need to be redone because I screwed them up Icon_wtf Icon_wtf Icon_wtf No matter how well its done theres always someone who's going to pick it apart, thats why I keep all before and after pictures to show what I had to work with, or should I say what I started with. Few more pics of zenith. Icon_eek

Attached Files Image(s)

Lookin good Fredrick!

You are a fast little mouse, Icon_lol
I used to do cabinets 5 at a time but have slowed down a bit.....or stopped recently Icon_rolleyes

A+ buddy
Me

Times I have been electrocuted in 2021
As of 1/01/2021
AC: 4 DC: 1
Last year: 6