Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Rare (Rex) cathedral rebuild

Here is a little Rex Cathedral radio that our President ( Jim Sargent) of our radio club ( VRPS) here in Dallas area wanted me to restore a beloved baby Rex Cathedral radio cabinet. The cabinet was pretty much roached out but was salvageable. I agreed to take on the job and this will be posted in our club news letter. It will show other members that now matter how bad the cabinet may be it can be repaired so don't throw it away . Being a rare radio it was worth the effort Icon_wave Icon_wave

Attached Files Image(s)

A few more pictures

Attached Files Image(s)

Beautiful. You don't have a series on how you re-assembled the grillwork, do you? Did you reinforce the broken areas, or simply re-glue them to the front?

Charlie in San Antonio

(09-02-2015, 09:47 AM)ccomer1955 Wrote:  Beautiful. You don't have a series on how you re-assembled the grillwork, do you? Did you reinforce the broken areas, or simply re-glue them to the front?

I carefully removed the outer layer of veneer (decorative  face ) and made a new back.

Attached Files Image(s)

Beautiful work. Thank you for posting it. The photos really help those of us trying to learn the proper techniques. I'm struggling with my first attempt to re-veneer a curved surface (veneer strips about 406 inches wide and maybe 2.5 feet long going horizontally across the front and side of a 41-280 cabinet). Matching the veneer has taken me forever (still not sure I have it), and I have yet to sort out the best way to laminate it to the body of the cabinet. Then matching toner, and more. So, seeing things like this work give me hope. Really beautiful work.

Charlie in San Antonio

Icon_clap Icon_clap Icon_clap

Fred... What can I say? Not surprised of the outcome! It looks beautiful! Nice save.   Icon_clap Icon_clap Icon_thumbup Icon_thumbup Icon_wave

Fred. It is magnificent. It is becoming boring. Screw up something for a change, will'ya! Icon_lol

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

Beautiful!

Joe

Matthew 16:26 "For what does it profit a man if he gain the whole world, yet lose his own soul?"

No two-toned panel?

(10-15-2015, 05:50 PM)Alan Douglas Wrote:  No two-toned panel?

Your right , its not two toned. I screwed Icon_think Icon_think Icon_think Icon_think Icon_think Icon_think up but the owner likes it just like it is. I can two tone it with no problem later and will let him know about it when I see him at next radio auction! Icon_clap

He was probably so amazed with the woodwork he hasn't noticed the color scheme yet.