Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

1930? Edison Console info?

I've been offered an Edison console radio that looks like it's about a 1929-1931 vintage. Nothing exciting looks-wise, but before I completely pass on it, I thought I'd ask if it's anything special. I don't have a model number, but it has sliding doors to cover the front.
Steve

hey steve
a pic or link would help

I have one been to lazy to get back to it caps are all potted in tar Icon_mad
[Image: http://i1303.photobucket.com/albums/ag14...bf1766.jpg]
sam

Some day, and that day may never come, I will call upon you to do a service for me. But until that day, accept this justice as a gift
mafiamen2

Sam,
Sorry, I posted from my phone and didn't have the picture handy. It's the same radio as the one you have pictured. He seems to think it's worth $200. I told him I thought that was quite high for these types of radios......
Steve

Steve
Way out their for 200.  Unless recapped and refinished 

Some day, and that day may never come, I will call upon you to do a service for me. But until that day, accept this justice as a gift
mafiamen2

Sam,
No, I told him on a "really" good day, $75-$100 and it needs everything done to it.....And that's more than I want it for.
Steve

Hi Sam,

That looks familiar!  Do  you still have the Arcturus tubes in it?

Steve JB

hey steve jb
long time no see
you mean this tubes   yep still their Icon_thumbup
[Image: http://i1303.photobucket.com/albums/ag14...14f231.jpg]
sam

mafiamen2

Unlike the Edison phonographs about the only thing noteworthy about these sets is the name "Edison", other then that they were average or bellow average. Edison, or rather his son who had taken over the company, got into the radio business by buying out Splitdorf. Unfortunately the stock was overvalued, as many radio stocks were in that era, and it's assets, products, and licenses were not really worth what they paid for it.
 Two good points about the set pictured was the electrodynamic and the nice cabinet with doors. However from the chassis pictures it looks like the set uses a set of #26 tubes followed by probably a #27 under that tube shield, most sets were using screen grid #24s for RF amps by 1930. I don't know what tubes it uses in the power supply/amp chassis, if it uses a pair of #45s as power outputs then it's probably half decent, but if it uses #71As then it was definately an antiquated product by the time it was made. Yes Philco 20s used #71As too, but those were budget sets, the better console models, like model 96s, used push pull #45s.
Regards
Arran