Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Good things come -

Good things come to he who waits. I picked up this Scott SLRM (from my bucket list of WWII morale radios) at an auction this week. I won't say how much I paid but Alexander Hamilton was awfully lonesome. Icon_wink

[Image: http://i863.photobucket.com/albums/ab191...g~original]

Hi Larry,
Is it heavier than a DX-100???

GL w/it
Terry

Larry, I have one very similar..

[Image: http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm38/...xor1cg.jpg]

If you need anything let us know...

Skip...

That may be exactly what it says it is, a Scott Marine radio. From what I have seen moral, general purpose communications receivers, transceivers, and anything else radio related usually had a plate on it saying something like "U.S Department of The Navy, Bureau of Ships" or "U.S Army", which would then rattle off what model it was, when it was made, and whom the contractor was. In Canada they were badged with similar plates stating R.C.A (Royal Canadian Army not Radio Corporation), R.C.A.F, or R.C.N, and then the various specs. It was no doubt based on a war time design but was probably a civilized version rather then built for the U.S Navy under contract, I notice that it has a red plate much like post war Scott radio would have. It's rather like those steel cabinet "Minerva" portables that turn up from time to time, the originals were designed and built as moral radios, but after the war the company kept on building them and marketing them on the civilian market, at least until the company went broke.
Regards
Arran

Larry... I hope you didn't kill your back getting out of the car... I was so tempted, but I was SO glad you were there!!! Thanks for saving me!!!! Did you check out the R100 yet???

Jim

Never met a Philco I didn't like!

Radioroslyn, the SLRM is 55lbs compared to 100lbs for the DX-100.

Arran, the SLRM dates to 1944 and was designed primarily for shipboard operation (hence the DC capability) as a morale receiver. Super Low Radiation Marine. The low radiation was a requirement to prevent enemy ships and subs from detecting oscillation emissions. Numerous examples show it aboard various types of ships in WWII, mostly Merchant Marine. As for the Tropic Master, I think you'll find the ones sold post war were war surplus, not new production. Many companies were left with undelivered product as govt contracts were canceled so they offered that product to the public in order to recoup costs.

Vecher, thanks for your kind offer, much appreciated. It appears the one you have is an SLR-F.

There was also an SLR-H (Military, made in at least 2 versions (RBO-2)) and also the SLR-X (Navy version).

I was given an SLR-12B last year.  It is interesting how much work they went through to isolate the front end from the rest of the radio.  The antenna coils are in a separate compartment from the RF and Oscillator coils with the 6K7 RF amplifier straddling the two compartments.  Even the band switch shaft is made of phenolic for the antenna section.

[Image: http://www.antiqueradios.com/forums/down...p?id=86114]

Sean
WØKPX